"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing. " -Helen Keller

Saturday, May 23, 2009

SHOW AND TELL: he's back and a few other things...

I must confess that until I went over to Mel's blog, I forgot about the homework she gave us. So, I went back and my favorite Show & Tell post over the past year was the one about my parents. Go check it out if you have a moment. The current Show & Tell is below.

And oops again, I missed the part that we were suppose to pick somebody else's post. Sorry.

****************************************

Back on 5/7, I posted about how the only downside to an otherwise wonderful week was that Joey's cat was still missing. It that point, he had been gone for at least a week.
Last Saturday, approximately 2 1/2 weeks from when he first went missing, Max returned. Actually, I found him. I had just gotten home from dropping Joey off at a friend's house for a sleepover. As I pulled into the driveway, I saw Snoopy (our other kitty...the laid back non alpha-cat)off to the side of our driveway. So, when I got out, I called to him. As soon as I did that, a very loud meowing started across the street. It was Max. I'd recognize that meow anywhere. I looked over but didn't see him. Given where the meow was coming from, he was in one of two yards...the wide open one or the jungle. The jungle is behind a house owned by a horticulture professor and there are all sorts of gorgeous plants FILLING the yard. As I headed across the street, Snoopy, who had no interest in going inside, followed me. I started wondering if he hadn't been keeping Max away from the house as payback for Max being a total buttwipe towards him in the house. Of course, once I got across the street, I realized the meowing was coming from the middle of the jungle back yard.
So, despite the fact I was hot and sweaty and looking like crap from spending the evening moving one fridge out of our house and the new (to us) fridge in, I went and knocked on our neighbor's door and asked if I could go look for my cat in their backyard. It was pitch black in their backyard because the street lights didn't penetrate the jungle and I was afraid to go get a flashlight because Snoopy was still following me and I thought he would chase Max off if I Went inside. It took nearly 20 minutes of searching through a pitch black backyard for a black cat who didn't want to come out from the underbrush because Snoopy was there. I followed his meows until I got close enough to catch glimpses of him and I FOUND HIM. I was even hotter and grimier and just a bit out of breath (the humidity and something in that backyard were aggravating my asthma) but it was all worth it when I saw how glad everyone (even our dog Jack) was to see Max. It was pretty damned cool feeling like Joey's hero for finding his cat.


****************************************

To see what everyone else in class is bringing to SHOW AND TELL, take a trip to visit the Miss Mel, Goddess of the Infertility Blogosphere.

****************************************

And, don't forget to go by my Etsy shop and buy a hat to support the Liz Logelin Foundation. All the details can be found in this previous Show & Tell post.

17 comments:

JuliaS said...

Hooray!! Max is back!

You are a hero!

Alana said...

Da-da-da-da-da-daaaah! SUPER MOMMY!

So glad Joey's cat is home and safe!

battynurse said...

So glad you found Max again!! Welcome home Max!

Lori Lavender Luz said...

You are the best mom EVAH!

I loved that post about your parents. It was nice to revisit it.

JuliaS said...

Kristin - that is an Asiatic Lily. Fairly common at Lowe's in the Garden Center! :0) They always come back year after year and are bigger and more prolific with blooms each time. It doesn't rebloom over the season - it buds, blooms and then that's it. Next year, same thing - only you will have more buds to bloom and the plant is bigger. Because it only blooms that one time - I get quite excited for it. I'll have to post a picture when all the buds are open. I have some light pink ones also, but they are still very young bud stage. By the end of the summer, y'all will probably be all "lillied out" by me!

Thanks for your always kind comments!

Carrie27 said...

So, now I have the "The Cat came back, the very next day..." song in my head.

Katie said...

I'm glad Max is home! I saw these in a mag while waiting at the REs office and first thought of you
Cross-Stitch Transfer

Fat Chick said...

YAY!!! Max is back! And you are SOOOOO a hero!!!

*Tanyetta* said...

Max is a cool cat! So glad to see he's back :) Love that photo!!

Lollipop Goldstein said...

Ha--Carrie beat me to it. I had the same song in my head.

Welcome back, Max.

Nina said...

Missing pets are so hard to explain to kids. I believed our dog "ran away" until I was in my 20's! Glad you don't have to explain!

Anonymous said...

You're my hero, too. And I loved that post about your parents, also.

Emmy said...

Yay!! Congratulations on finding Max! What a relief!

Wishing 4 One said...

Yeah for Max. I know the feeling having your baby home after they are missing for a few days...my Florenzo was once gone for 7 days! I remember that post about your parents, beautiful! You know you are a great lady Kristin and are so loved by so many here.

MoonNStarMommy said...

OMGosh that is AWESOME!! Welcome back Max!!!

MrsSpock said...

Whoo hoo!

Meari said...

Glad he's back!