"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing. " -Helen Keller

Sunday, May 10, 2009

My Mom part 2

Happy Mother's Day mom. I meant to have this post up earlier in the day but you know how it is with kids around. Time just gets away from you.

I don't even know how to begin to tell y'all how amazing my mom is. I am one of those lucky women who can truly say my mom is also my friend. If someone came up to me and told me I reminded them of my mom, I would consider that a compliment of the highest order.

My mom has always been a leader. She's also creative, brilliant, and funny. My mom marched in the civil rights marches, taught English to diplomats, and wasn't afraid to dress down an Air Force general when she thought he was in the wrong.

For many, many years, my mom was a stay at home mom. She was my girl scout leader when I was little and she has spent years as a Red Cross volunteer and swimming instructor. My mom took on a group of girls who wanted to play soccer and coached the first all girls soccer team in a mixed league when my sister was littler and her team held their own.

Now, my mom is a high school teacher and the school's swim coach. She is on her church council and involved in the teacher's association. And, despite all that, she still finds the time to come to special events for all her grandkids. Sometimes I think my mom has more energy at 65 than I do at 39.

My mom has always been my biggest champion and even when we disagree I never doubt her love for me. And, there have been times we have disagreed rather heatedly over things. There have even been a time or two when I was so pissed off I wasn't speaking to her. I'm not going to tell those stories because that's not whats important. I just wanted to point out that even when our relationship got rocky, I always, always knew she would be there if I needed her.

My mom is an incredible woman and I hope I measure up to the standards she set as a wife, as a woman, and as a mother. I love you mom. Happy Mother's Day

5 comments:

Carrie27 said...

I wish I could say the same of my mom, I know you already know you are lucky. I can only hope that my children will think of me in the same way.

HaleyMarieOlson said...

Your mom sounds like a really neat lady! Thank you thank you thank you for my OMG your rock gift!!! I wrote about it on my blog so you will have to hop over and see. It is so beautiful! Thank you a million times over! You are amazing and you ROCK!

Shelly- Mom Files said...

You are one lucky lady to have a mom like that! Not all of us are that lucky.

Lori Lavender Luz said...

Something about an apple and a tree...?

She sounds as wonderful as you are.

Anonymous said...

You are a caring and strong person..I felt welcomed by you the moment you stepped over to my oh so newbie blog.

Now I see where you get it from sheeks with all that your mum's been envloved in its a wonder she has anough hours in the day!

A wondeful tribute written by one inspirational woman for another.

You both rock!

xX