"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing. " -Helen Keller

Saturday, May 09, 2009

SHOW AND TELL: my mom

My mom was such a cool mom while I was growing up and she is an equally cool grandma to my kids. She was the mom who didn't freak out when a gingerbread house building turned into a frosting fight at a birthday party of mine. And, she was the mom who let me invite all 12 girls in my 2nd grade class to a sleepover (and, yes, they all came). You seen her playing with "volcanoes" with Gabe and this week you get another treat. You get to her an original Karin O'Donnell song. Many years ago, my niece went through a stage where she wanted you to sing with her whenever you took her on a long car trip. However, it couldn't be any random song. Bri would want you to sing the same song over and over and over again for the whole car trip. One day, my mom and dad were making the then 2 hour drive to our house and Bri had her singing Twinkle Twinkle Little Star. Well, about halfway there, my mom snapped and started singing this version of it...
Twinkle twinkle little bat
How I wonder where you're at?
Did you pee pee in my eye?
Did you poot in the sky?
Twinkle twinkle little bat
Give me back my furry hat!

I was able to get it on video for you because I told her that was the only way I would let her teach it to Gabe.

****************************************

I also wanted to share the gorgeous present my friend Henny brought me when she came for her surprise visit. Click on the picture so you can see a close up. It is amazing.


****************************************

To see what everyone else in class is bringing to SHOW AND TELL, take a trip to visit the Miss Mel, Goddess of the Infertility Blogosphere.

****************************************

And, don't forget to go by my Etsy shop and buy a hat to support the Liz Logelin Foundation. All the details can be found in this previous Show & Tell post.

****************************************

Finally, to help Kym and all future Sock-It-To-Me participants, I am going to set up a sock site database. It will probably just be in a post here but the info will be available to all. Please EMAIL ME (yes, use that link...not any other email address you have for me...using this link will keep all the emails together) and give me a link to the site you bought the socks from and any review of the site you might have.

17 comments:

Stacie said...

Your mom is hilarious! I love the new version of that song. :-)

AnotherDreamer said...

That is a hilarious version :)

And the fairy is gorgeous!

Carrie27 said...

So jealous of your cool mom!

Lollipop Goldstein said...

Josh just called out, "did I just hear 'did you pee pee in my eye'?" Why yes, Josh, you did.

Anonymous said...

That's great you have such a good relationship.

Lori Lavender Luz said...

OMG -- that is priceless!

And that is a gorgeous piece of stitcher.

I *heart* your mom.

(Oh, I'm collecting mom tribute posts over at my blog, yesterday's post. Enter this one if you wish.)

Beautiful Mess said...

AHAHAHA! I absolutely love it! Your mom totally rocks! Henny made you a beautiful fairy!
Happy Mother's day to you and you mom. Enjoy your day.
*HUGS*

Anonymous said...

2 things:
I think I would LOVE your mom if I had about 5 minutes around her, and

I'm beginning to figure out why you're so cool.

Alana said...

How awesome! Your Mom rocks! Happy Mother's Day to wonderful you and your cool Mom. :)

Soralis said...

Love the song!

Happy Mother's day!

MrsSpock said...

OMG, your mom is awesome! New song for the Spock household.

Wishing 4 One said...

The best rendition ever what a cool mom! Happy Mothers Day to you cool girl!

JB - A.K.A. Jenn said...

OMG - I LOVE your mom....it is truly amazing what a long car trip + a young child will do to normally sane people! LOL

Closest I can come is a long 8 hr. car trip with my nephews and several feminine products used for entertainment purposes.

Needless to say - it is a favorite
"Aunt Jenn" story.

HUGS and Happy Mothers Day!

Cara said...

OMGG - How I WANT to be that mom. Sadly, as 'laid back' as I have become - compared at least to my former self - I will ALWAYS freak when frosting is flying across my kitchen.

Anonymous said...

lol! your mum is super cool! I hope you both had a marvellous Mothers day!

The stitched Fairy is gorgous .. I must finnish that bear ! and join the cross stitch board.

Liv said...

that's hysterical. I just love your mom stories!

Sunny said...

What a fun Grandma! Your kids are very lucky to have her. :)