"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing. " -Helen Keller

Saturday, January 09, 2010

It's time for the 2010 Book Challenge

Its time to get your read on again this year. Here are the basic rules...
  1. sign in under this post with a goal and please give me your email (if you don't want to put your email in your response, use my Email Me link in the right hand column)...I want to be able to check in with everyone and let you know when book related posts are going up
  2. your goal can be as high or low as you feel comfortable with...the goal is to read more, not to beat everyone else
  3. read, read, read
  4. keep a running total
  5. have fun
  6. if it is under 50 pages or an audio book, it counts as HALF a book
  7. anything over 50 pages counts as 1 BOOK no matter how long it is
  8. textbooks, childrens books, ebooks all count
  9. (thanks Jenn) rereading counts and any books read so far count
  10. cookbooks count as a whole book if you actually read them (I mean really read...not just skim while looking for a recipe)
I want to send my thanks out to Jen J for *Navigating the Waters of Infertility and Beyond again because she was the one that sparked my Book Challenge Last year. So, to get the ball rolling, I am going to set my goal at 100 books since I topped 90 last year.

Who is going to join me? There will be prizes again!

BOOKS READ
  1. Snowy Nights by Heather Graham, Lindsay McKenna, Marilyn Pappano, & Anette Broadrick (1/10/10)
  2. The Phantom Tollbooth by Norton Juster (1/13/10)
  3. Seducing an Angel by Mary Balogh (1/17/10)
  4. Where Are You Now? by Mary Higgins Clark (1/19/10)
  5. A Quilter's Holiday by Jennifer Chiaverini (2/4/10)
  6. A Marriage of Inconvenience by Debbie Macomber (2/5/10)
  7. The High IQ Bathroom Reader by Cliff Roads Books (2/7/10)
  8. The Christmas Clock by Kat Martin (2/8/10)
  9. Touch Of Enchantment by Teresa Medeiros (2/12/10)
  10. After Midnight by Teresa Medeiros (2/14/10)
  11. The Vampire Who Loved Me by Teresa Medeiros (2/16/10)
  12. Breath Of Magic by Teresa Medeiros (2/19/20)
  13. Kitty and the Dead Man's Hand by Carrie Vaughn (2/21/10)
  14. Kitty Raises Hell by Carrie Vaughn (2/23/10)
  15. Timeless Moon by C.T. Adams and Cathy Clamp (3/5/10)
  16. The Lightning Thief by Rick Riordan (3/6/10)
  17. Cold Moon Rising by C.T. Adams and Cathy Clamp (3/9/10)
  18. Undead And Unworthy by Mary Janice Davidson (3/14/10)
  19. Apple Turnover Murder by Joanne Fluke (3/15/10)
  20. The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins (3/17/10)
  21. Undead And Unwelcome by MaryJanice Davidson (3/18/10)
  22. Frostbitten by Kelley Armstrong (3/24/10)
  23. Catching Fire by Suzanne Collins (3/31/10)
  24. The Billionaire's Vinegar by Benjamin Wallace (4/5/10)
  25. 206 Bones by Kathy Reichs (4/6/10)
  26. Big Spankable Asses (it's a ROMANCE y'all, don't judge by the title) by Angie Daniels, Kimberly Kaye Terry, and Lisa G. Riley (4/8/10)
  27. At Last by Lisa G. Riley (4/11/10)
  28. Caught Up In The Rapture by Lisa G Riley (4/13/10)
  29. The Undead Next Door by Kerrelyn Sparks (4/17/10)
  30. Summer of the Sea Serpent by Mary Pope Osborne (4/19/10)
  31. The Overnight Socialite by Bridie Clark (4/20/10)
  32. Secret Life Of A Vampire by Kerrelyn Sparks (4/22/10)
  33. Forbidden Nights With A Vampire by Kerrelyn Sparks (4/23/10)
  34. The Aloha Quilt by Jennifer Chiaverini (4/25/10)
  35. All I Want For Christmas Is A Vampire by Kerrelyn Sparks (4/26/10)
  36. The Vampire And The Virgin by Kerrelyn Sparks (5/2/10)
  37. Angel Time by Anne Rice (5/5/10)
  38. The Sea Of Monsters by Rick Riordan (5/6/10)
  39. Bed of Roses by Nora Roberts (5/7/10)
  40. Shattered by Karen Robards (5/10/10)
  41. The Lightning Thief by Rick Riordan (5/10/10)...yeah, I read it again. Joey had me read it to him aloud.
  42. Vision In White by Nora Roberts (5/12/10)
  43. The Titan's Curse by Rick Riordan (5/14/10)
  44. The Battle of the Labyrinth by Rick Riordan (5/17/10)
  45. A Deep Dark Secret by Kimberla Lawson Roby (5/18/10)
  46. Healing Hearts: A Memoir of a Female Heart Surgeon by Kathy E. Magliato, MD (5/19/10)
  47. The Last Olympian by Rick Riordan (5/20/10)
  48. Delighted by Bertrice Small, Susan Johnson, Nikki Donovan, and Liz Madison (5/24/10)
  49. Percy Jackson & The Olympians: The DemiGod Files by Rick Riordan (5/24/10)
  50. Twenty Wishes by Debbie Macomber (5/26/10)
  51. Artemis Fowl by Eoin Colfer (5/29/10)
  52. Fired Up by Jayne Ann Krentz (5/31/10)
  53. A Good Yarn by Debbie Macomber (6/2/10)
  54. The Shop on Blossom Street by Debbie Macomber (6/3/10)
  55. Back on Blossom Street by Debbie Macomber (6/9/10)
  56. The Sea Of Monsters by Rick Riordan (6/9/10)...read aloud to Joey
  57. Savor the Moment by Nora Roberts (6/10/10)
  58. Christmas Wishes by Debbie Macomber (6/12/10)
  59. Misconceptions: One Couple's Journey From Embryo Mix-Up To Miracle Baby by Paul and Shannon Morell with Angela Hunt (6/13/10)
  60. Three In Death by J.D. Robb (6/18/10)
  61. Alex Cross's Trial by James Patterson and Richard Dilallo (6/20/10)
  62. The Love Affair of an English Lord by Jillian Hunter (6/24/10)
  63. Hannah's List by Debbie Macomber (6/26/10)
  64. House of Testosterone by Sharon O'Donnell (7/1/10)
  65. Witchcraft by Jayne Anne Krentz (7/5/10)
  66. Shameless by Karen Robards (7/7/10)
  67. Breathless by Dean Koontz (7/12/10)
  68. Nobody's Baby But Mine By Susan Elizabeth Phillips (7/14/10)
  69. Burn by Linda Howard (7/17/10)
  70. The House on Teacher's Lane by Rachel Simon (7/23/10)
  71. Burning Lamp by Amanda Quick (aka Jayne Ann Krentz) (7/26/10)
  72. The Red Pyramid by Rick Riordan (8/4/10)
  73. Scandalous by Karen Robards (8/9/10)
  74. Irresistible by Karen Robards (8/11/10)
  75. What Happens In London by Julia Quinn (8/14/10)
  76. Raine's Blues by Sharon Cullars (8/15/10)
  77. Let's Do It Again by Roslyn Hardy Holcomb (8/16/10)
  78. The Seduction of an English Scoundrel by Jillian Hunter (8/17/10)
  79. That Perfect Someone by Johanna Lindsey (8/18/10)
  80. All I Ever Wanted by Kristan Higgins (8/26/10)
  81. Dragongirl by Todd McCaffrey (8/28/10)
  82. The Wedding Night of an English Rogue by Jillian Hunter (8/31/10)
  83. The Sinful Nights of a Nobleman by Jillian Hunter (8/31/10)
  84. The Wicked Games of a Gentleman by Jillian Hunter (9/1/10)
  85. The Secret Diaries of Miss Miranda Cheever by Julia Quinn (9/3/10)
  86. 10 Things I Love About You by Julia Quinn (9/5/10)
  87. Ice Cold by Tess Gerritsen (9/8/10)
  88. Waking The Witch by Kelley Armstrong (9/9/10)
  89. Dark Peril by Christine Feehan (9/14/10)
  90. Maybe This Time by Jennifer Crusie (9/16/10)
  91. Mockingjay (final book in The Hunger Games trilogy) by Suzanne Collins (9/17/10)
  92. Wicked As Sin by Jillian Hunter (9/20/10)
  93. The Devilish Pleasures of a Duke by Jillian Hunter (9/21/10)
  94. Mind Game by Christine Feehan (9/28/10)
  95. Blockade Billy by Stephen King (9/28/10)
  96. Sinful by Charlotte Featherstone (10/8/10)
  97. The One That Got Away by Victoria Alexander, Liz Carlyle, Eloisa James, and Cathy Maxwell (10/15/10)
  98. Never Lie To A Lady by Liz Carlyle (10/20/10)
  99. Never Deceive a Duke by Liz Carlyle (10/21/10)
  100. Big Guns Out Of Uniform by Sherrilyn Kenyon, Liz Carlyle, and Nicole Camdem (10/25/10)
  101. An Improper Aristocrat by Deb Marlowe (10/28/10)
  102. Never Romance A Rake by Liz Carlyle (11/1/10)
  103. Christmas Heat by Devon Vaughn Archer (11/3/10)
  104. Juliet by Anne Fortier (11/17/10)
  105. The Lost Heroes by Rick Riordan (11/18/10)
  106. A Secret Affair by Mary Balogh (11/21/10)
  107. What A Rogue Desires by Caroline Linden (11/22/10)
  108. The Season by Sarah MacLean (11/25/10)
  109. Nine Rules to Break When Romancing a Rake by Sarah MacLean (11/26/10)
  110. Medium Raw: A Bloody Valentine To The World Of Food And The People Who Cook by Anthony Bourdain (12/2/10)
  111. Hooked On Murder by Betty Hechtman (12/8/10)
  112. Scandal by Amanda Quick (12/10/10)
  113. Tales of the Otherworld by Kelley Armstrong (12/16/10)
  114. Ten Ways to Be Adored When Landing a Lord by Sarah MacLean (12/19/10)
  115. A Gift Of  Love by Judith McNaught, Kimberly Cates, Andrea Kane, Judith O'Brien, and Jude Deveraux (12/22/10)
  116. The Night Before Christmas by Lori Foster, Erin McCarthy, Jill Shalvis, Kathy Love, Katherine Garbera, and Kylie Adams (12/27/10) 
  117. SEALed with a Kiss by Mary Margret Daughtridge (12/30/10)
HALF BOOKS
  1. Rock Star Wedding (link is at bottom of page) by Roslyn Hardy Holcomb (1/14/10)
  2. Testing the Ice by Sharon Robinson (multiple times, at least a couple of nights a week so far)
  3. Henry and Jim by J.M. Snyder (5/3/10)
  4. The Duke Blue Devils Men's Basketball Team by Tim O'Shei (5/20/10)

47 comments:

Jenn said...

Oooh I will play (thanks for your comment- btw- you are always the coolest! I will email you!)

1. jenn.finch@gmail.com

2. I will set the bar very high and say 100 books this year. That is a TON for me. Can we count stuff we already read this year?

Jenn said...

Also- does is count if you are re-reading books? I was thinking about re-reading Harry Potter series.

stitchersanon said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
stitchersanon said...

Sorry..forgot to anti-spam my e- mail lol
I would love to join in.
Put me at 100 pretty please. I am also marking them on my blog ;-)

Anonymous said...

Count me in with my modest goal of 36.. didn't make it last year lol.

Email: ali.thom at hotmail.co.uk

Posted about it too and will try to keep the list on my blog this year. :-)

Good luck!

Mrs. Gamgee said...

Yay!

missusgamgee@gmail.com or the other one you have used before. :)

I'm lowering my target this year and going for 75. Hopefully I will do far better, but after last year I'm not counting on it.

One type of book I left off my list last year was cookbooks... and I've realized I read a lot of them. Do you think they would count as half a book?

battynurse said...

Hmm. So I fell short of my goal last year so I'm going to aim lower. Plus I have a lot going on with sewing etc and less time to read. I'll aim for 50 this year.

Quiet Dreams said...

I'm going for 50. Maybe more books and fewer DVDs...maybe.

You have my email, I believe.

AnotherDreamer said...

I am game again :)

I will set it for 50 this year though... aiming a little lower.

My email is gnarledsatyr@gmail.com

Anonymous said...

Since I already have 10 books waiting to be read and am joining my first book club I will say 50.
Email- info (at) parenthood for dot org

Cara said...

I'm in this year. I seem to have already started in the new year with four books under my belt!!

Audio books count?? Listen in the car on the way to work and back.

carajer@tds.net

Goal: 50 GOOD books

Any suggestions??

Vicki said...

I'll join again although I'm going to drop my goal this year as I want to do more bible studies this year. I'm going to with 45 books this year.

email is mom2manyblessings at gmail dot com

Missy said...

I'm in! My goal is 36 books.

s c a r l e t b a b y m i s s y (aht) y a h o o

(no spaces)

Ms Dreamer said...

Found you through Mrs. Gamgee, and this sounds right up my alley!

We'll start low and say 50 books.

My email is srhschofield at gmail dot com.

Ms Dreamer said...

Yeah, might have to change my goal. I'm already at four finished, four in process, and it's only the 10th of January!

Lynn said...

Oooh, yay! I want to join!! I wasn't posting consistently last year (and hadn't found you girls then :D), so this will be my first year participating.

1. wistful(dot)girl(at)gmail(dot)com

2. I'm going to say I think I can reach 100 books this year (a lot of them will be re-reads, but, hey, at least I read them :D).

Going now to make a post on my blog and add my reading list!

Alana said...

Yes! I'm in and am determined to meet or exceed my goal this year.

Email: velmadinkley@aol.com

Goal: 75 books

I have an ongoing books-read list on the sidebar of my blog.

Thanks for hosting us again, Kristin! :)

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much for keeping up with me and your sweet comments. Yes, having a new transmission does suck. Thank you again!

Chris said...

Since I only read 10 non-school books last year, my goal is 20 non-school books for this year. (I know you said about school books counting, but I can't bring myself to count them.)
my email is chris4decor@hotmail.com
Plus I've added a list on my blog of the books I've read/am reading this year.
Thanks!

MrsSpock said...

OK< I'm game this year.

mrsspock9@gmail.com

I'm a big, lame loser and have the tiny goal of 12 books. I think one per month will be my max.

John said...

Hi Kristin!

Just wanted to be sure you saw this group that is current forming:
trianglemodernquilts.ning.com/

Hope to see you there!

John

The Steadfast Warrior said...

I've got one done so far. I don't have tonnes of free time BUT I'm going to go for the lofty goal of 30! Gotta aim high! I'll email you my email... :)

GeekByMarriage said...

Cherryrebel79(at)msncom

I'll go low and say 50. So I don't panic and give up lol

GeekByMarriage said...

I put a shelfari widget on my sidebar. It'll add the book I read with a click of a button. I'm a cheater and I'm lazy!
With ADD it's the only way I can remember to log books.

..al said...

Good Luck with hosting the challenge....

Amy said...

I'll try. Goal would be 50, I've already got one done!

Email awaszczyk at gmail dot com

Deb said...

I am in! Thanks for hosting.

My goal this year is 40.

allthingsdeb@gmx.us

Justina said...

Oh, I'd love to participate in this! I found your blog through a post wistfulgirl made.

I will aim for 100 books.

Do we need to post beforehand what we're going to read?

My email is justinabraun at gmail dot com.

Thanks for doing this, I'm excited to start it!

Idgie said...

OOH yay! All kinds of wordy booky goodness!!! I'm game, signing up for the first time!

1. rebecca4274@hotmail.com

2. I will set my goal at 36...I am going to try to read the Bible from cover to cover this year as well, so that will take a lot of my reading time. :)

(I'm curious too...do we have to list which books we have planned, or just keep track as we go?)

Julie said...

Love it! My goal is 100. It'll be intersting just to see how many books I read a year. Do books I read out loud to my students count?
Email is jc_winkler@yahoo.com

perchancetodream said...

I'm in for 100. I've never actually tracked how many books I was reading, so I'll be interested to see what I do now that I no longer have a commute....

perchancetodream2 at gmail dot com

*Tanyetta* said...

I am going to read one book a month. That will be a total of 12 books for the year. I know this sounds pretty pathetic but, I am trying my best. LOL

JuliaS said...

I'm in. I miss reading. Dh reads more books than I do anymore and that is just so wrong since I am the reader in the family.

juliemac(at)fidmail(dot)com

I'm going to set low and hope I get high (LOL!) and start at 40 books. (Cringes - since I didn't even manage 3 full books last year; truly sad.)

In Due Time said...

Thanks for doing this!

My goal this is 24 books. Two books a month.

JW Moxie said...

I'm joining! My goal this year is 50 books. I need to get caught up on the latest YA lit to add to my classroom, and I also need to tend to the ever-increasing list of books I-always-meant-to-read-but-never-took-the-time-to list. :)

Big Mama T said...

Ooh! This is so neat! I'd love to hop in...

tasjaanalee@hotmail.com

Since it'll be my first year, I'll make a conservative (for me) goal and say 40.

Here goes!

Miss Tori said...

Hmmm, I'm glad I came back to read this again as I didn't sign up here, although I know I talked to you about being part of this again for 2010.

My goal is 30 books. I fell short last year by just a few, so hopefully this year will I exceed my goal.

Address is pamperthecook AT hotmail DOT com. Thanks!

theworms said...

I'm in, once again :)


theworms1022@gmail.com

65 books in 2010. List is on my blog sidebar.

Thanks

Carrie27 said...

Joining late - I'm going for 50 books. Gulp.

Kelly said...

I just found this. What a great idea! I'm going for 50 books.

socstudiesteacher@yahoo.com

Coffeegrljapan said...

I'm a late joiner too but I have some serious reading goals this year and want to commit in as many places as possible just to make myself accountable! What fun! I'm aiming for 30 books this year. That feels ridiculously low based on how much I used to read, but with a toddler in the house and a newborn on the way, I'm trying to be realistic!!

Nilda said...

Hi Kristin,

Since I'm late to the party here, I've set my goal at 52 books between March and December.

I've added a post to my blog where I will be keeping track of my books:
http://titinilknits.blogspot.com/2010/03/book-challenge.html

I love that Wake County Library now has downloadable audiobooks so I can "read" and knit at the same time.

Frugality Mom said...

Hello Kristin sorry I am late to the game but please put me down for 100 books. I will keep a list on my blog so I don't forget what I have read so far. Thanks for doing this.

Venessa

frugalmom79@gmail.com

Amber said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Amber said...

Ah I'm totally in! :) I'll go for 100. I've never really kept track so this will be interesting. Good luck at reaching your goals everyone!!

Forgot my email sorry :P

ayoung3360@hotmail.com

Amber said...

Looks like your only 1 book away from your goal! Great job :)

Nilda said...

Hi Kristen,

I reached and passed my goal of 52 books.

I purchased a Nook in September and that helped tremendously. I probably wouldn't have made my goal without it.