"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing. " -Helen Keller

Saturday, March 14, 2009

SHOW AND TELL: Its been a long time coming

A long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away...

No, wait a minute, that's the wrong tale. Many, many years ago a young girl picked up a needle,some fabric and some floss and relearned a craft she first tried out in Brownies (which was back in the dark ages). For years, she muddle along, not really knowing all the ins and outs of cross stitching (eek, I only left a 1.5 in border...not enough room for framing) and not realizing their was a whole world beyond the aida fabric and the plain cotton dmc floss available at Wal-Mart.

Then, almost 9 years ago, she discovered a cross stitch board on Parentsplace (part of iVillage) and the world of cross stitching opened up. The women she befriended there are still together and enabling each other's addictions on a yuku board called Cross Stitch Crazy. She discovered overdyed floss and hand-dyed fabrics and linens and evenweaves. She also discovered the wonders of cross stitch design software. Instead of having to hand graph designs she wanted but couldn't find for purchase anywhere, she was able to create designs with ease. And, she became addicted to creating designs.

Then a funny thing happened. The woman became brave enough to show her designs to her cross stitch friends and they liked them. In fact, they began urging her to start a design company. The woman kept saying, "Maybe one day." But, she never did it because the thought was always there...what if I design things and no one buys them. About 3 years ago, this woman discovered that her sister-by-choice, Christa, was a wonderful design partner. They could bounce ideas off each other and they really inspired each other's designs. So, instead of saying, "Maybe one day", that woman started saying, "When Christa and I finally open our design company..."

That some day and that finally have arrived. Christa and I have just barely dipped our toes into the design pool but we HAVE done it. Please, please click on the coffee cup pictured below and see the beginnings of Cuppa Joe Designs.



To see what everyone else in class is bringing to SHOW AND TELL, take a trip to visit the Miss Mel, Goddess of the Infertility Blogosphere.

23 comments:

AnotherDreamer said...

Oh, how neat :) Good luck with it!

GINA and KEV said...

How cool! Congratulations and best of luck...

Lollipop Goldstein said...

I am so proud of you! List it on LFCA--there must be so many people who would be interested. Or who want to pick up a new skill.

Anonymous said...

I think you should run with this! I'm CONSTANTLY looking for cross stitch designs that aren't ducks or the like. Love it.

Good luck!!

JuliaS said...

Oh how awesome! Good luck to you!

I've been wanting to open up a crafty little boutique for years with all the sewing stuff I do. I made friends recently with a lady who does the most incredible cakes and I thought we could do it together - her with her cakes and cookies and me with my sewing . . .

I look forward to hearing more about your adventures!

The Steadfast Warrior said...

Oh wow! Congratulations! I have a photography business and it would probaby actually go places if I could put some time and money into it. Still woprking on things.

Anonymous said...

That's fantastic. It's all about living your dreams. Life is too short. Congrats!

'Murgdan' said...

Good for you! Love the coffee cuppa joe too! :-)

Beautiful Mess said...

OMG! That's so awesome! CONGRATULATIONS!!!!

Liv said...

That rocks! Way to go you two.

Photogrl said...

Oooh...How exciting!

Good luck with this new adventure.

..al said...

Woohoo! Good luck with that Kristin! :)

one-hit_wonder said...

Women + art = good things! Especially when caffeine is involved!

Miriam Pauline said...

Very cool my friend! Congratulations!

NHStitcher said...

Congratulations! Are you going to chart the logo coffee cup?

Anonymous said...

Congrats on the new biz! I wish you much success!!!!!

Cara said...

Wow Kristin!!! I think you and I should share a tredmill or something cause we just keep taking on new projects!

I clicked over and it looks amazing!

oklaln86 said...

That's so cool! I wish I had some creativity. Good luck!

Raggedy Ann said...

Well done! Congratulations!

Anonymous said...

Congratulations and best of luck with the new venture !

I used to cross stitch alot myself its something i've been wanting to take up again so i'll be sure to check out your designs.

Ali xX

Meari said...

Good luck with your new adventure!

Alana said...

Congrats on the new compnay, how neat! LOVE the "coffee is a vegetable," too cute! :)

Anonymous said...

How exciting! Congratulations!