"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing. " -Helen Keller

Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Random Thoughts from a Scattered MInd

I'm still not going to bed on time. When Vic is at work, it seems pointless and, when he's home, I want to hang out. The lack of sleep is kicking my butt.

Emotionally, I'm dealing better with him working nights. PMS can seriously screw with your emotions.

I am having so much fun making that dress for my friend. I absolutely adore the pattern and I am going to get it in my size. I LOVE the pattern. For inquiring minds, I'm making pattern 4790 from Butterick. I'm making it in black crepe back satin with a few small alterations. The skirt is being shortened to just above knee length. I'm adding an underlining of black organza and I'm narrowing the shoulder straps. I think I will be done by tomorrow night.

Gabe will be 5 yrs old on Thursday. I'm making cupcakes for him to take to school tomorrow. I've got a question about the cupcakes. They are completely cooked. They taste great but the look weird. Can anyone explain why they look like this...




Despite being sick, my dear, darling, wonderful husband picked Joey up from school today so I could have an extra hour or two to work on the dress I'm making. My husband is incredible and I'm a very lucky woman.

I think I'm going to put my Christmas lights up this weekend. It will be December and I'm ready to start decorating.

I'm reading Anthony Bourdain's latest book, Medium Raw: A Bloody Valentine to the World of Food and the People Who Cook. I'm enjoying it but I don't think it's quite as engaging as Kitchen Confidential. The parts where he talks about his daughter and the effect she has had on him are so incredibly sweet and touching.

Does anyone know where I can get a dress form that is adjustable to different sizes at a cheap price? I've decided I really need one if I'm going to keep sewing clothes. One of my friends found one at a yard sale for only $5 but, over the years, her kids broke it. I looked and, sadly, the only ones that adjust to accommodate my ginormous boobage cost about $170 before shipping and handling.

I made the yummiest turkey calzones with leftover Thanksgiving turkey, broccoli left over from our vegetable tray, a can of mushrooms, half a block of extra sharp cheddar cheese, and about half a cup of my yummy homemade pizza sauce. I think I will have to spend a morning making and assembling various flavor combinations of the calzones and freezing them.

I have a huge pot (and I do mean huge) of Turkey stock cooling in our fridge so I can separate off the fat. It is going to make the best turkey soup and there will be plenty of stock to freeze.

What's going on with you  guys?

4 comments:

Kakunaa said...

I had my first hubby free night last night. I was so happy when he got home this morning! Cuddle time! It is sooo hard!

I hope to see a photo of the finished dress!

Meari said...

Not much going on with me. Every night this week after I get off work, I've been studying until 9:30. I go to bed exausted and wake up tired, lol.

Quiet Dreams said...

Hmmm...those cupcakes DO look weird, but I have no idea why. I'd be interested to know if you find out the reason.

Alana said...

LOVED your "perfect moment" from this week, too sweet!

No words of wisdom here, but I continue to bow to you...I'm not worthy, I'm not worthy...when it comes to your cooking and sewing prowess! :)