"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing. " -Helen Keller

Friday, November 26, 2010

Exhaustion

Last night, I had a sick little boy in bed with me. Gabe has got a horrific cold. His nose and upper lip are red and raw from all the wiping and the only good thing I can say about his coughing is at least it is limited. Despite all this, he refuses to slow down. I give him medicine because he is so obviously miserable with the drippy nose and runny eyes but then the medicine makes him feel just better enough that he goes bounding out the back door after his brothers. If he would just slow down a bit, he might get better faster. Somehow, I just don't think that's in the cards.

This morning, I woke up with a horrific headache, maybe not a full blown migraine but bad enough. I was drained from our fun and fabulous holiday celebration and, I suspect was trying to catch Gabe's cold. I took some medicine and spent the morning curled up on the couch pretending to be awake and coherent. Luckily, the cold seems to have been beaten back by that fitful rest but the remnants of the headache hung on until late afternoon.

Tonight I find myself sitting here and enjoying the quiet. Joey's been in bed for a while. Marty just went to bed a  little while ago. And Gabe, my snuffly nosed sick little guy is asleep and waiting in my bed. While the quiet is to be savored, that's not the only reason I'm still up (and probably will be for quite some time). My husband is at work, working what appears to be a permanent night shift schedule. The reasons for this will fill up a whole other post. Overall, it's honestly a good thing. But, we are only one week in and I miss him at night. I miss having him there next to me when I climb into bed. I miss having him to snuggle up to at night. I feel like such a spoiled, selfish bitch even moaning about this because I know other people are missing their spouses for far worse reasons. I have to figure out how to deal with this new schedule because right now I'm exhausted because I'm missing him at night.

6 comments:

Shelly- Mom Files said...

Sorry for all the sickness :( I sure hope the whole family gets back to optimal health fast. I know how hard it is with a spouse working night shift. I have mentioned before that Dwayne did it for 5 years at the 911-center. Those 12 hour shifts are a beast. There were some days that were not so bad though. I guess you get used to it and feeling almost like a single parent. ((hugs))

Kakunaa said...

Oh, ugh, colds and headaches :( I hope you all feel better soon!

My hubby is about to start an overnight stocking job 4 nights a week. Which means he will leave when I get home and I won't EVER see him except his days off. It's not easy to make that change, and I totally understand. HUGS.

areyoukiddingme said...

Sorry to hear that your husband is going to be working the night shift. That's hard on everyone, and it sucks. I hope everyone is feeling healthy again soon.

Quiet Dreams said...

I hope everyone in your house is all better super-soon. And I hope you start sleeping better. Sorry about missing Vic. :(

AnotherDreamer said...

I really hope you all get to feeling better soon!

The night shift is really hard :(

Aisha said...

Sorry you're feeling sick :0( i hate that. Its winter and it sucks because that is part and parcel at least for me. My son is only six months old but he had a slight cold and it broke my heart- I guess once he's Gabe's age I'll be a pro, lol :)

Btw- I'm compiling a mommy-blogger directory if you're interested please check it out, thought I'd mention it :)

Happy ICLW!