"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing. " -Helen Keller

Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Are these the values we want to teach?

Y'all, I have to tell you that I rarely run across something that I passionately hate. I found something that trips that trigger and, of all things, it's a commercial. I don't know if you've seen the new commercials for the Toyota Highlander but I FUCKING HATE THEM!
Little Riley Thomas Stewart is cute as can be but his character in that commercial is a spoiled, self-important, snobby brat. Implying that parents aren't doing a good enough job if they can ONLY provide a mini-van, that they are failing you if they can't or don't buy a Highlander...well Toyota can go FUCK themselves. These are not the values we need to teach our kids and Toyota has made damned sure that I will NEVER, EVER buy a Highlander.

So, do y'all hate it as much as I do? Am I over reacting? Have you run across anything you hate as much as I hate these commercials?

10 comments:

areyoukiddingme said...

I also hate that commercial. It is pretty disgusting.

AnotherDreamer said...

That is very disgusting. We get fed a lot of bull about "how we should be living", and that is the epitome of it all. I'm sick of people telling me how I should be living.

I'm sorry, but my clunker gets me from point A to point B. It's dented, it's got some issues, but it's paid off and runs just fine. I live my clunker, as a matter of fact. She's got character.

And the nerve to have the child in the commercial, feeding the guilt trip to parents who might already feel bad because of media/social pressure, or worse teaching children that this is the way they should be thinking?

Ick.

..al said...

Well, you are not over-reacting. Today marketers bombard all kinds of messages, and some of them are very wrong.

Envy, or rating your friend's parents better because they have x or y item which your parents dont or cant is not a message a child should learn.

..al said...

On a non-children related message, I am particularly riled by this campaign for medical abortion pills that is currently running in print media here. They tout it as being as safe and side-effect-free as a common over the counter decongestant. If you are pregnant, and you decide to buy the pill, somebody must tell the women about the bleeding and other things that may happen...but no, it is as good and fast and cheap as orange candy.

Jen said...

1st time seeing it (I don't watch tv much do I lol) hate it though, guess what my kids are going to learn to drive in? a minivan

Quiet Dreams said...

No, you're not overreacting. Yes, I hate it, too. Blech.

AnnaBelle said...

Oh my gosh, I dislike that whole series of commercials too! They don't make me want to buy that car at all.

Suzy, Not a Fertile Myrtle said...

Oh that commercial is awful. I hate everything it stands for. So good to know I'm not the only one.

battynurse said...

So I really try not to watch commercials (thank you DVR) but I had seen this commercial. I hadn't really thought about it from this perspective but you're right. Nothing like teaching our children to be materialistic like so many adults out there.

Meari said...

The first time I saw this commercial, I was totally turned off! It's just one of many commercials that teach the wrong values!!