"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing. " -Helen Keller

Tuesday, January 20, 2009

What a day!

Wow...I am so proud of our country today (*with one teeny tiny exception). The inauguration was everything I hoped it would be. I got chills listening to Aretha sing "My Country 'Tis of Thee". I was awed and amazed by President Obama's speech (and, man, oh man does it feel good to say that). He hit exactly the right note with his speech. Our country is in a tough spot and his speech was inspiring without being too celebratory. I loved Reverend Lowery's benediction. The simple fact that he got all those government officials yelling Amen was an act of God in itself. I was also so very glad to see him get out of his limo during the parade and greet the people (hehehe, the twisted part of me wishes I could have seen the looks on the faces of his secret service agents when they realized he was getting out of the car). I just finished watching President and Mrs. Obama's dance at the Neighborhood Ball. They looked so elegant, so happy, and so in love. The choice to have Beyonce sing Etta James' "At Last" was perfect! That song represents so much...at last, we have hope; at last, our country has shown we can judge a man "not by the color of his skin but by the content of his character"; at last we have shown that the people truly can band togehter and pick who they believe is right for the office.

Congratualtions President and Mrs. Obama.


*The one thing that truly disappointed me was when President Bush was giving his exit speecha nd that group started singing "Na Na Na Na Hey Hey Goodbye". Whether you agreed with Bush or not, whether you liked him as a President or not, that kind of action was rude and disrespectful towards the man and the office.

9 comments:

Frugality Mom said...

Kristin you said everything I was thinking today. What a historical day and I had tears in my eye as Obama was sworn in and realized today we truly did arrive to the point when a man was judged by his character not his color. I missed the ball and I am hoping to catch it online.

Meari said...

I had to work today so I missed all of it :( As rude as it may have been, I could help but to giggle at the reaction to Bush's exit speech. Here's to hope and change for the challenges that lie ahead!

Anonymous said...

I haven't yet watched it (I did tape it as it was broadcasted at 1:30am this morning) but from your post, it is everything that I'd hoped it to be.
May this day be a step forward in the right direction for your country.
And I agree, very very rude of those people during Bush's exit speech. The deserves everyone's respect at the very least - whether they liked him or not, he WAS elected twice, so he must have done something right.

Anonymous said...

Very well said. I know here in South Africa we celebrated with you all yesterday!
But I have to agree, that nana story is very distasteful.

In Due Time said...

Ditto. :-)

Shelly- Mom Files said...

I certainly agree with you on so many levels about yesterday's events. I am still feeling the emotions this morning! I do agree that is was quite rude for people to behave the way they did when Mr. Bush said his farewell. God bless our new President and his family. He had a lot on his plate and then some! Time for us to roll up our sleeves and do our part as well.

Jen J said...

AMEN!

You nailed it right on the head! I didn't get to see much between my schedule at school & the computer freezing up (GRRRR!) but what I read about people's behavior embarassed me as an American and what I heard about the "chilling" (as in the good chills) moments make me aching to see it!

BTW ~ I saw your comment on my blog, Kristin & I'd love a copy! I'll try to email you today to see if we can work something out! =)

Kathy said...

It was an incredible day yesterday! I saw parts of it live and then watched highlights last night. Thank you for sharing what the highlights were for you. I agree that no matter what people think about the outgoing president it was uncool/immature to chant like that.

(ICLW #24)

N said...

Yes. yes yes yes. All yesterday, I was on the verge of tears, because it all just seemed so right.


(iclw)