"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing. " -Helen Keller

Saturday, January 17, 2009

SHOW AND TELL: Come Into My Kitchen

Today's the day for stories, gadgets, and tricks.

Do you have a favorite pot to cook in? I actually have two pots I adore.

You are probably looking at both these pots and wondering what is so special. They both are decent pots and cook things fairly well. Both pots have been around for ages. The pot toward the back is over 30 years old. The pot towards the back is a bit newer but not by a whole lot. Both pots have cooked meals that have nourished peoples bodies and provided meals that gave families time together to nourish their souls. These are the pots that Vic and I affectionately refer to as our ghost pots. See, the one towards the front had belonged to my grandma and the one towards the back belonged to my FIL. We inherited them after our families lost both of these wonderful people and cooking in them is a way to stay connected to our past. I hope I can keep using these pots for a long time to come and I hope my family is as nourished by what comes from these pots.

Now, onto the gadget part of show and tell. This is my all time favorite kitchen gadget.

My kids and I adore fresh pineapple but, frankly, without this gadget, they are a pain in the ass to peel and core. All you have to do is slice off the top of the pineapple, center this gadget over the pineapple, and twist. The pineapple is literally ready in minutes. I got mine as a gift years ago (thank you Lynn) and you can buy this fun toy at William Sonoma.What is your favorite kitchen gadget?

Finally, a kitchen trick I learned about last week.You know how the rolls of cling wrap, wax paper, and aluminum foil fall out or don't stay in place when you are trying to pull out a piece. Well, there is a solution to that. Every one of those rectangular boxes that contain cling wrap, aluminum foil, or wax paper has little tabs on each end of the box. When you push the tabs in, they act to hold the center tube in place. This means you can pull off the amount you need without having to hold the roll in place while you do it.


To see what everyone else in class is bringing to SHOW AND TELL, take a trip to visit the Goddess of the Infertility Blogosphere.

21 comments:

Malky B. said...

Love the pineapple gadget. Where did you get it?

areyoukiddingme said...

I need that pineapple thing. Today. Because I have a pineapple sitting on my counter and I don't feel like dealing with it. Send it to me, please! I promise I will send it right back! (Just like the sweater I borrowed from my friend 20 years ago...)

Love the pot history - I somehow got hold of the bowl that my grandmother used to make homemade noodles. I swear, they just don't taste right with any other bowl. I'm also regretting that I was nice and told my aunt that my sister would also be interested in the Le Creuset cookware she was giving away. I could have had two beautiful stock pots...that belonged to one of my favorite people...sigh. I guess that gets me a step closer to heaven.

Megan said...

I have a casserole dish that was my mothers. She hasn't passed away, I just took it. I love to cook with it. It reminds me of my childhood.

*Tanyetta* said...

I never knew that about cling wrap!!!

Soralis said...

I love pineapple, love the gadget!

Lovely cross stitch!

AnotherDreamer said...

Neat gadget! And wow about those pots.

I don't really have any neat gadgets. I use my iron skillet all the time, I love that thing!

The Steadfast Warrior said...

What is it about cookware that lasts through time? I've have many inherited items that all serve me well.

My fav gadget though is my wine drill. you cna seriously open a bottle of wine, no matte what kind of cork, in probably less than 10 seconds. It's awesome.

I want a pineapple corer too. Mmmm, pineapple. You're making me hungry and it's rather late here!

Anonymous said...

OMW! Love the pineapple gadget! Wish I could buy one here!

In Due Time said...

My grandma had some old pots like those. I wonder what ever happened to them. I have shitty pots and pans right now, when we get a new house at the end of the summer, I am splurging!

MmMm Pineapple!

FYI, I went to get the mag Friday and had no luck either. Damn magazine putter outter people are slacking! lol

Photogrl said...

Gotta get me one of those pineapple gagets...My hubby will love me forever!

And the tabs on the boxes of cling wrap...never knew that!

Lori Lavender Luz said...

What a great post! Ties to the past along with great tips.

I never knew that about the rolls.

Sam said...

hmmm - some kitchen gadgets like pineapple thingies are useful, but sometime I see stuff and wonder how on earth anyone manages to sell any of them!!!

Susan said...

Oh, my hubby is the king of gadgets!

Cara said...

Now, THAT started like the beginning of a "Fertile Infertile Kitchen Show"!

Ha- loved it!!!

Beautiful Mess said...

The pineapple thingy is SO amazing! So amazing in fact, the children want to core the pineapple. That's a HUGE score! We got one at a shop here in town for about half the price then you would pay at William and Sonoma's. Love the pots!
Hugs,
-D

the misfit said...

I love the oldest pots best too. A thirty-year-old pot will last at least another thirty. The expensive new one you just got will be useless in two years. I've got a good bit of my mother's cookware and bakeware (she's still alive), and it's great.

MY very favorite kitchen item...definitely my tea kettle. ($2 at a thrift store. All my favorite kitchen things are old, solid, and secondhand.)

How cute - my word verification is "graited"! I guess I like graters too.

FattyPants said...

Not really a gadget but I have a wooden spoon set that I adore. I understand about the pans. I have an old cast iron one that has seen better days but remains my favorite. How lovely to have two that have been part of your family for so long.

Baby Smiling In Back Seat said...

Considering that they came from different sources, the two pots make a pretty good set.

..al said...

WOW!!!

Those pots look sturdy! Yeps, even I have my favourite cooking pots and all and the pineapple zapper looks cute and functional. Pineapples are a 'painful' fruit. I like them (not much, coz their centre makes my throat itchy). Even if a tiny bit of the centre makes through to the bite I have, I want to push two fingers down my throat and itch. So, this equipment of convenience looks like a Godsend.

Tammy said...

This may sound silly, but I really needed to read this post today. The pots and their history is something I need to keep in mind when dealing with my current move and the blending of 'our' stuff. Life has not been good in that respect because of my approach to 'stuff'!

That pineapple gadget is awesome. I NEED to get me one of those babies.

MrsSpock said...

Hey, that is a nifty little trick with the foil! Mine always is falling out!