"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing. " -Helen Keller

Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Racism, Bigotry, and Hate Crimes

Its so very sad that we still have to worry about things like this. As a country, we've been flying high on the positive energy and hope brought about by the election and inauguration of President Barack Obama. Hell, the world celebrated this event. Yet, in the wake of this phenomenal event, I have heard about disturbing incidents of bigotry, racism, and hate crimes both here and abroad.

Just yesterday, a 22 yr old was arrested was arrested for spray painting anti-Semitic images and messages all over the Tree of Life Synagogue in Mobile, Alabama. When the man's home was searched, they found possible bomb making materials.

Last Friday, the son of a dear friend who lives in England was attacked by some teenagers. Then, over the weekend, the same kids who attacked my friend's son kept calling him and saying they were going to beat him up because his mother is a South African Bitch and his dad is German scum. When my friend saw these kid's in the neighborhood they told her, "Get the fuck out of the country, you South African Bitch."

It breaks my heart that people think its ok to attack others because of their religion, nationality, color, or any other stereotypical reason. Even if you have never had this happen to you, we all need to fight against behavior like this. As my friend Jen reminded us...remember what Pastor Neimoller said in World War II. "First, they came for the Communists, and I didn't speak up, because I wasn't a Communist. Then they came for the Jews, and I didn't speak up, because I wasn't a Jew. Then they came for the Catholics, and I didn't speak up, because I was a Protestant. Then they came for me, and by that time, there was no one left to speak up for me."

This is a fight we all ust fight. Its so sad that it is still happening today but it is. Be aware, be vigilant, and look out for your fellow man.

8 comments:

Tammy said...

What the hell is wrong with people. We all bleed, we all hurt, we are all human beings that will meet the same end.

Anita said...

It is amazing the atrociticies that people will commit when they think they are doing the "right" thing. Your post is very thought provoking & I agree wholeheartedly with you!

ICLW

Kim said...

I will never understand how people can still allow themselves to be so antiquated in their thinking. Disgusting. Thanks for stopping by. ICLW

littleangelkisses said...

It continues to amaze me that people are still so closeminded. How dare we judge others based on ANYTHING other than walking in their shoes, which we cannot do.

ICLW

Dora said...

Well said!

Shelly- Mom Files said...

yes ma'am I agree with you. What a sad, sad world!

Melissa said...

Thank you so much for stopping by my blog. I am very happy to find a fellow ER watcher/lover. I can't believe the series is almost over!! UGH!!! Have a great night!

stitchersanon said...

I am from the Uk and I have to say those kids were not racist...they were just ignorant fools looking for any difference to have an excuse to be violent..even if that poor lad had been tall, blonde and handsome..they would have found something to attack him with..and it is all too common now in the UK where the criminals have all the rights...one of the reasons why I emigrated and now live abroad.
I am very sorry this ignorance goes on..if my son's behaved in that way...well, they wouldnt. They fortunately have not been brought up that way and they know I would not tolerate racism of anykind. It is just pure ignorance.
I hope your friends realise we are not all like that. Humans I have discovered are not that nice.