"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing. " -Helen Keller

Sunday, January 11, 2009

SHOW AND TELL: The Perfect Turkey Tetrazzini



After Christmas, I was faced with the yearly dilemma..."What do I do with the leftover turkey?" Usually, I make turkey soup but I had made a TON of turkey soup and had 4 one gallon bags of soup frozen. I decided to make turkey tetrazzini and went hunting for a recipe. All the recipes I found were either way too simple or way, way too complex (Sorry, with kids around, I don't have the time or energy to try to scald cream properly). So, I printed out 4 recipes and picked and chose what I wanted from them. I must have done well because I didn't have any leftovers the two times I served it (I froze one pan of it). Here is what I came up with...

Turkey Tetrazzini a la Cruz

(makes two 9 x 13 pans)

Ingredients
8 cups of turkey, cooked (shredded, cut into chunks, whatever)

1/2 tsp pepper
1 tsp salt
1 1/2 tsp parsley
1 tsp thyme
1 1/2 tsp garlic powder
1 medium onion diced
1 cup minced celery (usually 5 or 6 stalks)
14 oz mushrooms (1 lg can, 1 small can)

3 10 3/4 oz cans of cream of mushroom soup
3 14 oz cans of chicken broth
1/2 cup white wine
1/2 cup shredded parmesan

2 boxes farfalle (bowtie) noodles cooked

for topping - 1 cup bread crumbs, 1 cup shredded parmesan mixed together

Directions
preheat oven to 375
prepare your 2 9 x 13 pans by lightly coating with cooking spray
split cooked noodles between the pans
melt 2 tbsp butter over medium heat in large pot
saute mushrooms, celery, and onions until onions are soft
add salt, pepper, parsley, thyme, and garlic powder; saute another 5 minutes
add cream of mushroom, broth, wine and parmesan
stir regularly and heat until cheese is melted and it is starting to boil
mix in turkey
pour sauce equally into 2 pans and mix with the noodles
sprinkle topping evenly over both pans
place in preheated oven and cook for about 25 minutes or until topping starts to brown

serve one pan and freeze the other for a future meal

To see what everyone else in class is bringing to SHOW AND TELL, take a trip to visit the Goddess of the Infertility Blogosphere.

PS...Do you know anyone who needs help affording their metformin for PCOS treatment? I found out a bout a way to help them. Please email me if you know anyone who could use this info.

13 comments:

..al said...

It looks so yummy. Care to send me some?

Delenn said...

I have actually been looking for a good tetrazzini--so here it is! Looks wonderful!

Anonymous said...

Yum - I love Turkey Tetrazzini! That's my mom's post-Thanksgiving standard.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Sam said...

well done you!! I always get tangled up with indecision if I come across multiple (and different) versions of the same recipe as then I can't work out which one would work best!

Lori Lavender Luz said...

Well THIS is certainly a post to bookmark for future holiday dilemmas.

Thanks!

AnotherDreamer said...

How crafty! Waste not, want not.

Martha@A Sense of Humor is Essential said...

Looks delish, much more inspired than my turkey sandwiches post holiday. (I love your new picture btw)

Liv said...

No leftovers is a great sign you've found a hit! Will have to try myself. Thank you!

Queenie. . . said...

That looks pretty easy, and sound delish. I bet I could make it with chicken breasts. I'll let you know how it works out, if I do.

Anonymous said...

i was wondering where the turkey was in the recipe. and unlike the poster you had that said it looked bad...think with the cheese sprinkled over it and baked. it would be delish...especially if i didn't have to make it !!!!

Meari said...

It sounds pretty tasty!! I like to make turkey pot pie. It's really easy to make. If you're interested, let me know. :)

Jenn said...

This is almost the same recipe I have for chicken tetrazzini! I LOVE it! We have it about once a month. (Jeez, would it kill us to make something from scratch? ha! If they took away canned soup I would have no recipes!)

PS you were brave about cutting your curly hair so I copied! Yay!