"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing. " -Helen Keller

Saturday, December 20, 2008

SHOW AND TELL...Its all tell and no show

Ok, Ok...I know I said I would miss this week's Show and Tell but I have a story that MUST be told. I can't put up pictures because I'm on the hotel's computer but the story still must be told.

My mom is a high school science teacher and she also happens to be the swim team coach. Well, she is missing the regional competition for this family wedding we are at. Early today, she checked her phone and realized she had missed two calls...both from parents of swim team members. So, she figured they were calling to report results or a really good time...little did she know what was coming. My mom called back the first parent, figuring she would have the scoop on everything since that mom had been the assistant coach last year. Well, not only did MrsO have good news about one swimmer breaking his best time by 3 seconds but she had the story of the men's 200m medly relay. MrsO's son happened to be swimming the final leg of the 200m medly relay and it was looking good. It looked like that group was going to finish in a good enough position to move from the preliminaries to the afternoon finals. MrsO's son C was swimming hard and went to do that flip turn that swimmers are famous for. As C flipped, the string on his bathing suit gave out and he LOST HIS SUIT. Yup, C, a high school senior was but naked in the regional preliminaries. To make matters worse, C had spent the whole summer lifeguarding and still has a marked tan line that was now visible to the entire audience. What do yoou think he did? C did what any good swimmer did and took one for the team. He not only finished his leg of the relay but he won it for his team, bare ass and all! After a swimmer has hit the touch pad that ends the race, they normally have to exit the pool immediately. They made an exception for C and let him swim back down and get his suit...so he made not one but two lengths of the pool with his bare ass hanging out. When he was asked about why he didn't stop to get his suit, all C said was, "Coach O'Donnell always says if we lose something that we should keep on going. I did what coach told me to do." ROFL...of course, my mom didn't have bathing suits in mind when she made that statement. She was thinking of goggles. Congrats to C (now dubbed Flash by my mom) and the entire Southern Wayne Saints swimm team.

And, in the spirit of show and tell, I have one more tidbit to share. Safely ensconced in his floaty suit, Gabe "swam" the length of the hotel pool today...multiple times. Next weekend, I will post a mini-video of Gabe swimming the length of the pool. I'd love to say I could post pics of Flash's escapades because its so damned funny but that might get me into trouble.

To see what everyone else in class is bringing to SHOW AND TELL, take a trip to visit the Goddess of the Infertility Blogosphere.

29 comments:

JuliaS said...

ROFL! That is a great story - I am so glad you decided to tell!

AnotherDreamer said...

LMAO! That is too funny.

In Due Time said...

LMAO.

Hope y'all have a great Christmas!

ICLW

GINA and KEV said...

The poor kid!!

NHStitcher said...

Congratulations on the event! The poor kid but I know he will laugh at it soon.

Erin said...

That is a hilarious story. I guess your mom's words have made an impression!

ICLW.

..al said...

Awesome! Something to recite again and again over family dinners and conversations! LOLOL!

ICLW Trippin'!

*T* said...

LOL Great story!!

White Picket Fences said...

Very cute ...That's my daughters biggest fear about being on the swim team. A suit accident.

Merry Christmas ....ICLW!

Queenie. . . said...

I just LOVE that story!! Good for him! You know, we could all learn a few lessons from high school kids. Sometimes, you've just got to admire their gusto and determination.

Anonymous said...

If anyone was filming Flash i bet it is already on Youtube. I guess that is why lots of swimmers wear speedos don't think those have strings.

areyoukiddingme said...

How awesome that he finished the race. That story is HILARIOUS!

The Steadfast Warrior said...

OM-Freakin'G! That is ridiculously funny. Go Flash!! :)

Merry Christmas to you!

Baby Smiling In Back Seat said...

Ha!

Enjoy the wedding weekend.

Cara said...

I KNEW you couldn't miss this. And I'm glad you didn't. Man did that story make me laugh!!

Have a great time.

Echloe said...

That is one hilarious story. ICLW

Bella said...

OMG that is hysterical! Thanks for the laugh and congrats to Gabe for becoming such a little fish!

ICLW.

Dora said...

Hilarious! Flash handled the situation perfectly (blame coach). I predict he will grin in the face of any teasing. Besides, swimmers do have great butts. ;-)

Kara said...

HILLARIOUS!!! My husband, who spent time playing water polo was getting a chuckle also.

ICLW

battynurse said...

How funny. I can imagine what the crowd thought of that.

Beautiful Mess said...

AHAHAHAH that's a GREAT story! Well for everyone BUT him, I assume. YAY for Gabe! Maybe he'll be on the swim team in a few years!
Get home safe!
Hugs,
-D *ICLW*

Anonymous said...

Hilarious story! Now if it had been a woman (of course, impossible because of how tight their suits are), what are the odds she would have done the same? Hmmmmm....

m said...

Great story. And your little swimmer is probably thrilled there was no more showing.

ICLW

littleangelkisses said...

That is HI-larious!! LOVE IT!

C said...

Too funny, haha.

ICLW

Michelle said...

OMG ROFLMAO!!!!!!!

MrsSpock said...

Hahahah..that made my day...What a brave soul...

Sam said...

ha ha, that shows dedication!!! How funny and you should definitely post any pics that you get!! no, don't - you'll get told off!!

Sam said...

oh by the way - Merry Christmas! I am going round telling every Merry Christmas!