"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing. " -Helen Keller

Friday, December 12, 2008

Pay It Forward Friday

Last week, I was the recipient of a wonderful birthday surprise from Dora over at ISO the Golden Egg. Dora pre-ordered Mel's book, Navigating the Land of IF, for me as part of her Pay It Forward Friday. I wish I had the money to secretly surprise people this way but, since I don't, I want to point you towards two charities that are near and dear to the hearts of many in the ALI community.

The first charity is My Stuff Bags. My Stuff Bags "provides comfort and a message of hope to abused and neglected children entering crisis and foster care." They collect small toys, a cap or other new clothing items, a favorite book, crayons and coloring books, blankets for babies, and even toiletries. If you want an easy way to contribute, visit the My Stuff Bags page set up by Single Minded Women and the Matt Logelin family. Matt lost his wife almost immediately after the birth of their daughter. There was an incredible outpouring of support for him. It reached the point where he wanted to aim the support at another group and asked for people who wanted to support he and Madeline to do so with a donation to the My Stuff Bags program in their name and in the meory of his wife Liz. I can't think of a better way to share the spirit of the holidays.

The second charity is a much smaller charity but equally worthy of our support. It is called Preemie Presents and was dreamed up and started by the wonderful author of the Flying Nunns blog. As the mother of a preemie herself, "Lady Nunn" recognizes how hard and heartbreaking it can be when you are stuck in the hospital with your preemie over the holidays. She is collecting items to create gift bags to take to the preemie parents at hospitals near her. She is accepting everything from homemade items to purchased items to monetary donations. Please lend her your support and help her brighten the holidays of some preemie parents. I'm trying to get a few preemie hats crocheted in time for her Christmas bags...but, if I don't get them done in time for this year, I will have a LOT more to donate next year.

Thanks y'all! MERRY CHRISTMAS

4 comments:

princessoftides said...

Thanks for the welcome, Kristin... and also for the heads up on the charities!

Lady Nunn said...

Thank you ever so much. :) I've of course spent half the afternoon in floods of tears after being lead to the blog of the other family!

Dora said...

Kristin, you ROCK! :-)

Cara said...

Oh Kristin- that is best kind of giving. You are such a special person.