"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing. " -Helen Keller

Thursday, April 16, 2009

WTF do I do with this...

We've been trying to get Gabe to potty train. He is more than ready. Not all mornings but many mornings he wakes up dry. However, he has steadfastly refused to go along with the plan. I haven't pushed it because, if I do, he will dig his heals in and refuse. We continue to talk about it and mention how he can get that cool Go Diego Go underwear. Gabe even mentions, "When I go on the potty, I get Diego underwear." But, whenever I ask him to sit on the potty, he simply says, "Not yet." Now, for two nights in a row, Gabe has woken up screaming with nightmares and when I got him to tell me what they were about he kept saying something about being stuck in the potty.

How the hell do I get him to potty train if he's having nightmares about being stuck in the potty?!?!?!?

Every time you think you have it figured out, they throw another curveball.

11 comments:

JW Moxie said...

What do you do with it? Absolutely nothing. Jordan and Kaelyn were both late potty trainers and were every bit as resistant as Gabe seems to be, maybe more in Jordan's case. No matter what strategies Frank and I tried, the strategy that seemed to work the most was the hands-off approach. Those turds just refused to put their turds in the right place until they were good and darned ready to, to hell with what WE had to say about it. :)

Kaelyn rolled on three in September and it's only within the past couple of months that I could say she's 98% potty trained. Jordan was pretty much the same. Both of their changes were almost literally overnight. One day they woke up and demanded their big girl/boy underwear, and that was pretty much it.

Hopefully Gabe will find that it's not such a frightening thing soon, as well!

Shelly- Mom Files said...

Aww man, that sucks. I know that it will be a whole different beast when I have to potty train my William. The girls were so easy, it took like a week or two and bam, DONE. They say boys are harder :( I guess you will have to get Gabe to get over his fear. I hope it works out sooner rather than later. Gabe is such a cutie ♥

Anonymous said...

I got my son a potty chair that sat on the floor. He was trained by 16 months and i never used force. Just sat him on it when i went. With my brother's son they never sat him even on the "big toilet"...never even encouraged him. One day he just decided he too was going to wear "big boy underwear". He is now 3 1/2 and just now potty trained.

Cara said...

Yeah- I'm all for the wait till summer and let him run around neudy approach...just me.

Anonymous said...

My niece is afraid when the toilet flushes she will be sucked in.

Jenn said...

Yeah, I think he will do it on his own this summer! No worries!

Anonymous said...

I remember those days. What we did for William was we put one of those kiddy seats on the toilet seat and we set him up with a t.v. tray with some books for him to read. It worked for him. Every child is different. I am sure you will find a solution for Gabe soon.
(((HUGS))).

NHStitcher said...

Well when you find a secret that works, please let me know so I can pass on the information to my DS. My DGS is 3 and still not potty trained and has no interest or desire.

Alana said...

That's rough...sorry no words of wisdom on this end.

*Tanyetta* said...

Let him go outside in the backyard!

I hope it gets better over there! :)

Anonymous said...

They have tinkle targets for the toilet. Also cheerios or fruit loops to aim at might work too...make a game of it