"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing. " -Helen Keller

Thursday, April 23, 2009

While we were sleeping...

Is it quiet at night in your house? Night time and sleep do NOT guarantee quiet in my house. While I don't do it frequently, I do talk in my sleep. In fact, I have been know to have *complete conversations when I was asleep. The other person will swear I was awake but I wasn't. Vic has been known to do the same thing.

Needless to say, all three of our kids do the same thing. And, they all started talking in their sleep at a very early age. When Marty was only 2, I went in to check on him when I heard noises from his bedroom. As I left the room, I heard him say (almost yell), "Ride dada's truck!" As he got older and after Joey was born, Marty was known to yell at Joey in his sleep. It wasn't unusual to hear him go on a tirade in his sleep and it would end with "I said NO Joey!"

Joey took talking in his sleep to a completely new level. When Joey was **3ish, we had put him to bed for the night. After we said prayers and kissed him goodnight, we left the room. For the next 45 minutes, I heard soft singing over the baby monitor. Joey singing himself to sleep wasn't unusual but that night it went on far longer than normal. Finally, I went in and told him that while I loved his singing, he needed to be quiet and go to sleep. For the next 30 minutes, silence reigned supreme...and then the singing started again. "Twinkle twinkle little star. How I wonder what you are..." I headed back to tell him to quiet down and, when I opened his door, he was sound asleep singing. Too funny.

Gabe also talks in his sleep. ALL THE TIME! You can't always clearly discern what he is saying but usually you can. I had thought Joey singing in his sleep was a one time thing but Gabe joined the club. Gabe has joined Joey's Star Wars obsession and, a few weeks ago, Gabe was humming the Star Wars theme in his sleep.

And, its not limited to the two legged family members. Our dog Jack is an active sleeper. I know a lot of dogs "chase" things in their sleep. The legs twitching and little yips give that away. But, Jack does so much more than that. Jack barks and growls in his sleep. And I don't mean quiet barks and growls. Somehow, without moving his mouth, he vocalize barks and growls completely. The funniest thing ever!

So, do y'all talk in your sleep or is it a quiet time in your house?



*I only do this if I am completely exhausted and I know where I got it from...my mom does the same thing.
**It was before Gabe was born. The older two were still in separate bedrooms.

20 comments:

Carrie27 said...

Joey singing is the funniest! You could be hearing some interesting music from him as he gets older.

All the kids talk to go to sleep, but don't actually talk while they are sleeping.

My husband definitely talks in his sleep, especially after he gets back from a training or deployment

GeekByMarriage said...

I giggle in my sleep. My daughter sleep walks and talks. She'll sit straight up, eyes closed, turn her head towards you and smile. Fucking creepy! She will also have full conversations. This will come in handy when she's a teenager! I can question her and get the truth!

Beautiful Mess said...

I've woken myself up by laughing or talking a time or two. Our house is pretty quiet during sleep time. Although, Zilla has been known to yell at Nae or his cousin in his sleep. It cracks me up every time!

*Tanyetta* said...

I'm not sure if I talk in my sleep.

SS said...

I think I can count on one hand the times my husband has talked in his sleep! I know I do on occasion. Sounds like you have a virtual symphony at night! Thanks for commenting about my infertility status. Now that's it's ICLW I am seeing there's a few others out there in my position. The twins pregnancy is amazing!

jenn said...

OMG! My hub was doing this the other night. He has been compleetly exausted from work lately. He was apperantly having a fight with someone in his dream and he kicked me really hard and screamed, "I told you! I'm on the sidwalk with the girl!!!" He mumbled about being on that sidewalk for at least an hour after that. Too funny! :)

Also thanks for commenting on my blog! :)

Alana said...

How cool. No sleep-talkers or sleep-walkers in our household that I know of.

Our dog on occasion has made some really weird barking/squeeking noises in his sleep that are pretty cute. :)

Anonymous said...

Awww the kids singing..and the puppy howling too cute!

I don't really talk in my sleep as far as I know .. I have been told that I do moan and i move around ALOT when I'm sleeping. i've woken myself up kinda crying from a nightmare before that was scary.

Bella said...

Too precious about Gabe's sleep singing! I mumble, but that's about it.

Here's a good one, though:

My DH sleep-talking one night: "Mmmmm...that breeze feels good."

Me: "Ummm...what breeze?" (sometimes I like to egg him on just to see what he'll say...you'll see why next.)

DH (still sound asleep) : "That hot gas coming from your ass."

I swear, there was no hot gas coming from my ass! I seriously couldn't get back sleep for about an hour because I was laughing so hard. He had NO recollection of it in the morning.

Mama Bear said...

my husband does-- my little boy makes all kinds of noises and the both my dogs do too!

Nina said...

Oh, how funny. My husband used to do it sometimes, but now that he has a cpap machine, he doesn't. I told him to wear the mask, or I was sleeping on the couch, due to the snoring and sleep-talking. He started wearing the mask. Funny how that works, huh? Seriously, though, you might get all of them a sleep study and make sure they don't have a sleep disorder. Might get you the quiet you're looking for!

MrsSpock said...

I talk in my sleep as well. J has started doing so as well, even at 11 months. He will say, "No, no, no" in his sleep...

Joe said...

I snore like a lumberjack hehe.

princessoftides said...

I'm told I occasionally say garbled things in my sleep. One of my cats snores. The other doesn't make a sound.

Actually, your post brings me to ask an odd question. I am currently at work on a novel, and in it I have an 8-year-old boy who is very into Star Wars (particularly Luke Skywalker and Darth Sidious). It's supposed to be taking place now - 2009 - and some folks in my workshop questioned me as to whether preteen boys today are still interested in SW. Am I to take it from your post that I can tell my workshop peeps to shove off? :)

Soralis said...

Wow I don't think I would get any sleep in your house due to the noise! :)

Serendipity said...

I talk and moan in my sleep, loud enough sometimes to wake up H. He talks but not very often, mostly he just grinds his teeth which sends me totally batty.

Shelly- Mom Files said...

oh my! Once everyone is asleep in my house is is quiet with the exception of Dwayne and his snoring ;)

Anonymous said...

My husband laughs in his sleep quite a bit and I always wonder what he is dreaming about. A singing sleeping little boy sounds adorable! You should record it and play it at his wedding!!

Thanks for your comment on my blog - I think you're right and I just made an appointment with my doctor for next Friday. (Sometimes it takes someone to point that stuff out!)

Yoyo said...

Oh I do, but thankfully I apparently speak mostly Spanish when I'm asleep. Until I was about 7 we lived in El Paso TX and for whatever reason Spanish was my first language. DH does not speak Spanish, so sometimes he will ask me what a word means and I'll know I must have said something in my sleep. DD and 2 of her sons walk in their sleep...that is not so good.

Love the bunny in your next post!!

Alyssa said...

I come from a whole family of sleep talkers, too. The other day, my 15 year old brother fell asleep on the couch and was beat boxing in his sleep! I've never even hear him beat box while he was awake.