"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing. " -Helen Keller

Monday, October 20, 2008

Should it stay or should it go?...edited to add pics

I am contemplating a big change in my appearance. I have been thinking about donating my hair to Locks of Love. I've been thinking about it for a really long time and seeing Mel's posts about donating her hair brought it to the forefront again.

I have a LOT of hair. Not only is it really long (when its wet I can sit on the longest pieces) but it is really thick. I suspect they could probably make 2 wigs from my donated hair. But, I'm kind of chicken. I know I like my hair better long. I went shorter (just below shoulder length) after Joey was born and, although it looked good, I promptly started growing it back out. On the plus side, it doesn't take it that long to grow out again. A couple of years at most and it would be just as long as it is today. In the final pic, you can see my hand at the bottom, my hair extended out of the bottom of my hand when stretched (which they do before they measure if for Locks of Love).

So, what do you think? *Should it stay or should it go?

*Sorry, I couldn't resist mangling the lyrics that The Clash wrote.

I apologize for the grainy pics...had to turn off the flash so it wouldn't hit the mirror. I was wearing my hair up the whole day (first two pics) so when it was let down it was longer than its normal dry length (but not as long as its wet length). My hair is as curly as the bangs are in the first pic so I lose a lot of length to curl.

**edited to add...The only reason my hair looks somewhat straight in those pics is that it was twisted up in the back all day. If I put leave in conditioner in it and wore it down it would look like a spiral perm no matter what the length.

29 comments:

magickalstitches said...

I say just do it! You'll feel good about it, and you know your hair will grow....besides cutting it off every few years is good for it, especially for curly haired girls like us getting rid of the ends makes it look nicer in the long run.

Margaret said...

Do it! What a lovely gift from a selfless person.....

Katla said...

Go for it! It's a wonderful cause.

CreoleInDC said...

Post a picture. Before I answer or ask others to answer...I wanna see how far you could cut it based on the shape of your face.

Chris said...

It's "only hair". It will grow back. Go for it!

Cara said...

Hmmm..I think you two might be starting an IF meets Locks movement!

Go for it!!!

Velda said...

I support several charities but I'm a freak about my hair, I'd never be able to do it. But if you can, I say go for it.

Amanda said...

If you're worried about the length needed to donate, you might look in to other places to donate your hair. I know Pantene accepts hair (and doesn't sell it) and I think you only need 8 inches to send it there. Good luck with your decision!

CreoleInDC said...

Hair does indeed grow HOWEVER...I'd never cut off more than would look cute with the shape of my face. With your type of hair I'm thinking the shorter it is the curlier right?

BK said...

although its a great cause.. I wouldn't do it if you aren't comfortable wearing your hair shorter.. ARe they also giving you a styled haircut or just chopping off the amount needed?

You have very curly hair (from the photos) so if you are comfortable I say go for it.. it will definitely grow back..

*Tanyetta* said...

Stay.

Anonymous said...

Locks of Love has gotten VERY picky about their donations. If you decide to do so, I would search around, I think there are better avenues. Robin (nhstitcher) could probably help with that.

If it grows fast, go ahead and do it!

Anonymous said...

Kristin,
I say go for it! It is only hair and it will grow back. I think your doing it for a very special cause and Someone will be thanking you.

..al said...

Hey...thx for commenting on my blog...You know what, I am also praying that I be able to post pics of my little one(s) by next November...Grrrrr...

Dawn0fTime said...

Wow, your hair is beautiful! I don't know if I'd have the courage, but if you do I think it's a wonderful gesture.

Anonymous said...

I say go for it. I've more or less decided to hold off until mine is a few inches longer so I can donate it.

Oh, and I tagged you for something on my blog. :)

Bean said...

what happened to the meme?! ;)

and you know I think you should totally chop it all off! Can you beat my 22" donation record? :D

Dora said...

I say go for it, but I have a suggestion for you. Many stylists just don't have a clue when it comes to curly hair. Check out this site http://www.naturallycurly.com/curlsalons and try to find a salon near you that specializes in curly hair or has a curly hair expert. BTW, the whole site is awesome. The message boards saved me while I was growing out an evil relaxer that my ex's sister did to me. (Ya think it should have been a clue when I told her my skin around my hairline was burning? She said I was just "sensitive." I had stubble there the next day!)

I now pay a small fortune for my haircuts, but it's worth it to know it will be a great cut. I'll scrimp elsewhere.

Beautiful Mess said...

I say go for it, too! I'd do it if my hair was in any kind of shape to donate. But sadly it is not. My hair is curly like yours, but I haven't been taking care of it and it's not very pretty at the ends. OOPS! Keep us updated!
Have a good one
-D

Anonymous said...

I say go for it! I used to have really long hair and I cut it shorter and shorter until now it's above my shoulders and I'll never go back to long hair. I wished I would have done it all at once so some good could have come from it. (ICLW)

nancy said...

I also say do it!

(and thanks a lot. now i'll be singing The Clash until I fall asleep!)

iclw

♥.Trish.♥ Drumboys said...

I say do it - Mel did ..LOL easy for me to say I wouldn't yet.Yes it will grow back.

How many can get on the bandwagon ?

Here from IComLeavWe... (adoption,pregnancy loss, IVF twins)
My Little Drummer Boys

Ps I got your comment via gmail and found your blog.

momofonefornow said...

I say go for it. I have donated to LOL 3 times. It is the best feeling. When I was a kid I was so self conscious. The thought that I was probably keeping some little girl from feeling bad about herself made it so worth it.

Bobbie said...

I would say do it. You have beautiful hair any little girl would love to have it and as you said in a couple of years it would be right back.

Thanks for commenting my blog.

ICLW

NHStitcher said...

Go for it. I did it in June.

Erin said...

Here from ICLW. I donated my hair to Beautiful Lenghts (they do wigs for women with cancer which is not the focus of Locks of Love). I am a long hair girl and wound up with it just above my chin! I would do it again in a heart beat. Right now I am growing it back out to donate again.

Felicity said...

I did shave for a cure in 2003. Here in Australia, it's a fundraiser for the leukaemia foundations. so, at aged 43, i went in front of the whole population of the high school where i teach (2000 kids) and did the deed. It was one of the most liberating things I've ever done. And we raised sorely needed money for a good cause.

You'd be surprised how we hide behnd our hair without realising it.

kirke said...

Such thick, curly hair would be such a gift.

I don't want to cast a vote and sway you either way, but I do think it is so nice that you are contemplating this.

ICWL

calliope said...

OMG!!! I had no idea your hair was so long!! WOW!!! LOVE seeing this and reading some of your older posts.

Using this post as my Bingo for today. wooo!