"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing. " -Helen Keller

Thursday, October 16, 2008

No one with a uterus should vote for McCain...

In my last political post, I said I was deeply disturbed by McCain's stance on women's reproductive rights. Now, I'm going to say, if you are a woman of reproductive age or if you love a woman of reproductive age, you are playing with her life and health if you vote for McCain. McCain totally dismissed the fact that pregnancy ever threatens a woman's life.



I personally know 2 women who would have DIED if they had remained pregnant. One of these women is the godmother of my middle son. I grieved with these women when they lost their babies but I would have hurt far more if we had lost either of them. Cecily of "Uppercase Woman" has been mourning the loss of her boys but her husband would have lost her and we wouldn't have her wit and wisdom if she had been forced to try and carry her boys even one day longer.

To once again quote the brilliant Julie of "a little pregnant", "Not only is John McCain saying we shouldn't have the right to terminate a pregnancy in the event that our lives are at stake, he's telling us he's skeptical that that happens at all.

We know better.

*Look, I wasn't going to vote for him anyway. That's true for more reasons than I can list. But this is why I think no one should — no one of childbearing capacity. No women. In fact, no one who cares about women. No one who cares about even just one specific woman. In fact! In fact, no one with a brain. Because even if you're implacably, unconditionally opposed to abortion, a matter on which reasonable people disagree, I don't see any way a thinking person can look at those air quotes and see anything but pandering, contempt, and a dangerous willful ignorance."

Hell, I wish we could completely ban late term abortion but I value the lives of the adult women involved more than I value their unborn babies. I am pro-choice but I am not pro-abortion. I will never presume to claim I know whats best for someone medically and that includes whether or not they should continue to carry a baby. I believe each and every woman should be able to decide what to do with their own body. With this one ignorant statement, John McCain has alienated many people who feel the way I do.

Support the women you love and vote for Obama this year.

*Before the candidates were selected, I was leaning towards the Republicans. Afterwards, I was torn but quickly talked myself out of voting for McCain.

**See Cecily's post on this topic too**

6 comments:

Cara said...

Imagine if every woman in the Nation voted for Obama?

Wow - that's a start!!!

I'm with you. Never had an inkling to go the other way.

Saw a sign today on someone's lawn...said, "McSame - Voted X% with Bush" (sorry I forget the percentage)

I laughed out loud!

Dora said...

Sing it, sister! Every time I think of the "finger quotes" I get even angrier!

Christa said...

As an undecided voter, I have to say I would like to see this in its entirety. I would be interested to see the entire thread unspliced.

I think Obama is a brilliant man, but his position on Israel scares me. I don't want to wait for the UN's blessing to do the right thing. Moreover, Obama's plan to heavily tax big business will just drive them (and what is left of our jobs) overseas.

McCain isn't without his issues, and quite frankly I wish there was a viable 3rd party candidate to vote for. That not being the case, it's choosing between the lesser of two evils in my view.

AnotherDreamer said...

You know, I like having rights. I'm not about to let anyone take them away from me :)

I haven't liked McCain or Palin's stance on woman's rights from day one. That in itself set my vote in stone against them.

Abc said...

Hey - thanks for your comments on my blog! We don't have a Big Lots around here, that I know of, but we have a Tuesday Morning, which is the same idea.

McCain... Ugh! I guess you saw enough of my blog to know how I feel about him.

ICLW

Anonymous said...

Got something for you to think about. I have a self insured ERISA Health plan. The same type of plan Obama wants you on. MA has a very strict infertility CMR that states CMR 37.08 that infertility is NOT to be distinguished from regular medical. He wants to do away with these types of state mandates. So to say "No one with a uterus" is a little misleading when you have this quagmire I am talking about. What is not told to you is that the lifetime maximum for infertility could be as low as $5000 with a 50/50 split. Meaning you owe $5000 when they pay $5000. And then you are done. Without even getting pregnant. And IVF would not be covered at all. You will be on your own. I want my "taxed" $5000 check thank you. And I work for a health insurance company and thats the best they can give us under an ERISA Self insured policy.