"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing. " -Helen Keller

Wednesday, July 13, 2011

I knew I shouldn't

There are times you can see the train wreck coming and, you just can't help yourself, you have to give in...you have to laugh your ass off or give in and say something...even if you are going to pay later. Sadly, that internal censor between my brain and my mouth loses it's fight for self preservation far too often. My long time readers have heard about my epic fail of my internal censor that led to the naming of Damn Duck. Go ahead, go read the story and get a good laugh at my expanse. I'll wait for you to get back.

TV Themes - Jeopardy Theme Tune (Think Music)

Powered by mp3skull.com

Ok, are y'all back? Good. Now, on to another story about the failure of my internal censor or maybe I prefer to think of it as the victory of my sense of humor over stick in the mud adulthood. Let's hop on the wayback machine and take a trip to the spring of '03.

It was early morning (but not too early) in the spring of '03. I had Marty, his friend Will, Will's sister, and little (at the time) Joey in the van. We had just picked up Will and his sitter and were headed to school. All I could hear from the back seat was whispering, giggling, and something that sounded vaguely like Yankee Doodle. In an effort to be a good mommy, I asked the kids what they were talking about and they said "We're not talking. We're singing." Well, of course I had to ask what they were singing...I should have known better. This is what they were singing...
Yankee Doodle went to town
a-riding on a *Sam
stuck a father up his butt
and called it macaroni.
I knew I shouldn't.

I knew it was wrong.

I knew I would pay for it seriously...but, I did it anyway.

I laughed my ass off.

The payback was that I got to listen to their version of Yankee Doodle for months and months on end.

That wasn't the first time my internal censor failed and it certainly wasn't the last. I'm also sure there will be many more censor FAILS on my part.

Have you ever said or did something you knew you shouldn't but just couldn't help yourself?
****************************
In the spirit of things we shouldn't laugh at but do, here's the video of my mom teaching Gabe her version of Twinkle, Twinkle, Little Star (you can read the whole story here)...

4 comments:

Nina said...

OMG, yes. This is my life! I once was listening to a woman describe the dress she was wearing on a date that night(the extremely rich boyfriend was flying her up to Boston in for dinner; He was a cardiothoracic surgeon, la dee dah...). On hearing that this dress had no back, and listening to her describe how she didn't like panty lines, therefore wouldn't be wearing any that evening I blurted "No bra, no underbritches, you're going to Boston in the middle of January, the damn thing's gonna be froze shut!" The entire room froze, looked at me, then burst out in hysterics! I was soooooooo embarrassed, and I can't even begin to imagine how she felt. I also asked a doctor who was notorious for leaving his nasty gown and gloves (post surgery) for everybody else to pick up and dispose of claiming that he was in a hurry if he turned in circles every morning while he was standing at the potty just to make a mess when he was running late. My mouth has no governing body, either.

ColourYourWorld said...

Hahaha I love it! Your Mums song is brilliant too.

I have so much to catch up on your blog, sorry I been stuck in a packing rut.

Mrs. Gamgee said...

*giggle snort* Love both stories... and the video! Ginny went nuts for it so I had to play it twice.

Anonymous said...

Hilarious! Filed away for my future children... :-)