"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing. " -Helen Keller

Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Day In And Day Out

Hey y'all. It's me, the slacker camper here. Still trying to catch up with my Blogging Summer Camp schedule...but, I'm beginning to think it's hopeless..well, maybe not hopeless but it's taking a hell of a lot longer than I thought it would.

Camp Counselor Calliope posed this question for Day 19...How do you (and your partner if applicable) feel about PDA? Does your husband/wife/partner know that you blog and, if so, are they involved? I'm not a big fan of PDAs. Hugs, little pecks, walking arm in arm, all those things are ok but I find it extremely distasteful when people go at it in public...totally without class. My husband does know I blog and reads off and on. In fact, I got him blogging (sporadically) at The Warped Musings of My Inner Self.

Day 11
How are you different from your parents? How are you the same? Well, except for my curly hair, I look very much like my mother. I am a little shorter and probably (sadly) a bit heavier than my mother. I got my skin coloring and lack of height from my dad's family. My sense of humor is a lot like my mom's and sometimes it drives my dad off the deep end (he doesn't appreciate our risque humor). Politically, I seem to fall in between them. My mom still thinks she's a raging liberal democrat but, when you can get her to talk issues and not parties, she isn't quite as liberal as she thinks she is. My dad is a dyed in the wool Republican. The joke in our family is that the only time he voted for a Democrat for president was when JFK ran and he only got my dad's vote because he was Catholic. I definitely consider myself a Libertarian which means I'm stuck being registered as an Independent.

Do your parents and/or family know that you write on-line? Even though they all know I blog now and probably all have the link, it didn't start out that way.

Day 9
What is the most important lesson you learned from your own mother (or other primary caretaker)? I have learned more than I could ever begin to explain in one post. I learned compassion and I learned how to help others in any way possible. I learned that a woman can be the strong one when it's needed. I learned from my parents that "For Better or For Worse" means exactly that and you don't cut and run when you run into trouble. I learned that giving of my time is just as important if not more important than giving of my money. I was truly blessed to have the parents and family that I have.

What do you imagine the name of your Grandmother’s blog would be and what would she write about? I think my maternal Grandma's blog would be called The Military Wife and she would talk about the experiences she had being married to a career military man and volunteering with the Red Cross during war time. I think my paternal Grandma's blog would be called The Butcher, The Baker, and the Newspaper Taker. During their life together, she and my Grandpa had a small butcher shop, she baked for her family, and they delivered newspapers to the entire community. I think she would write a little bit about everything.

Day 8
If you had to teach something, what would you teach? (If you DO teach, when did you discover your love for teaching/the subject?) I think if I ever went into teaching, I would love to teach a hands on art class and maybe venture into sewing, quilting, crocheting, and cross stitch. It would be so much fun.

Do you think blogs can play a role in education? I definitely think blogs can play a role in education as long as kids are taught to question and research everything they read. Blogs can also be a great place to practice writing skills.

Soooooo, to wrap it up, PDAs - thumbs up or thumbs down? Similarities and differences from your parents? Lessons learned and Grandmother's blog names? And, finally, tell me about teaching? Pick something and spill it!

5 comments:

Lynn said...

I have to agree with you on the PDA's. The Hubs and I are constantly giving each other little pecks on the cheeks or even on the lips no matter where we are and we hug often, but the all-out, going-to-town make-out sessions are best left for when you're alone.

I love that your mom and dad are so different, yet they're still a couple. Just shows that love can conquer anything. I call myself a Republican and am registered to vote that way, but my beliefs are probably more Libertarian. The Hubs is definitely Libertarian. I like to say I'm a socially liberal Republican, lol!

Your grandmas' probable blog names are awesome! Sadly, I didn't really know either of my grandmothers, so that question will be a difficult one for me when I get to it. Will require some serious thinking and since I'm working on it now....

Ah, teaching! I'm really going to enjoy answering that question, since I'm currently working on my degree to teach. I think you would make an amazing art teacher! You're certainly creative enough and you're so engaging! I know children would love you and hang on every word you had to say and everything you had to show them.

Lynn said...

Geesh! My comment was a post in itself! If only I could do that on my blog everyday, I'd be okay, lol!

Rachee said...

I wrote about PDAs on my blog too!
Anywho, I didn't do the teacher post so here goes: I think I teach that reading can be fun (duh) and that its ok to sometimes sweat the small stuff cause the small stuff sometimes gets lost in the sauce.
Sigh!
-r

Once A Mother said...

i tend to run libertarian too... i agree on PDA's. there are ways to show you are together and in love without shoving your sloppy kisses in everyone else's faces.

Keiko Zoll said...

My hubs and I are rather touchy-feely when it comes to PDA - lots of hand holding, kisses a bit longer than pecks, long hugs. Only on the rare, passionate swooning occasion do we ever slip the tongue ;)

But we tend to keep it in check for the most part.