Sunday, July 17, 2011
What I Like About Me
Over the past few weeks, I've noticed a lot of beautiful women being angsty. They're worrying about what to wear and will what they wear be good enough and "OMG, what if I get there and don't fit in with anyone" and what if I don't get an invite to the party. What it all boils down to is they are wondering "What if I'm not good enough?" I think watching all these fabulous women stress over an event (BlogHer '11) that's suppose to be fun is what has made me want to participate Ciao Mom's Things I Like About Me even though I'm sneaking in just under the wire.
So, while you are reading my list of things I like about me, I'm going to challenge each and everyone of you to think of at least 2 things you can truly and genuinely say you like about yourself. Women tend to be far to harsh on themselves. It's time to stop that and time to start celebrating the fabulousness of us.
1) I like my fabulously curly hair. There was a time in my life that I didn't like it. In fact, I could safely say I hated it when I was younger. I desperately wanted hair like everyone else. Now, I love that I have a head full of ringlet curls that never ever go away. They curl, they twine, they bounce, and I love them no matter what color they happen to be.
2) I like that I'm secure enough in myself to have fun with my hair. I no longer limit myself to normal colors. Manic Panic is my friend.
3) I love that I can talk to anyone. I've struck up conversations in some of the unlikeliest locations and some of those people are friends to this day.
4) I love that I look and sound like my mother. Until a few years back, I wasn't aware how alike we look. Now, I can't see how I missed it. I think I am very lucky because at 66, she can pass for someone much younger.
5) I love that not only do I look like my mom but I've inherited her wonderfully witty sense of humor, her brains, and her desire to help anyone she can help. I was raised by an incredible woman and, if I grow up to be even half as wonderful, I'll be in good shape indeed.
6) I love that I am honest and open about how I feel. You will never doubt where you stand with me.
7) I love that I can tell someone to go to hell in such a manner that they don't even realize what they've been told and gladly do it.
8) I love that I see the good in people. I give my love and loyalty freely and I will bend over backwards to do something for someone I care about.
9) I love my eyes, my lips and my boobs. Yup, I have a pretty fabulous rack and I'm not ashamed to admit it.
10) I love that my artist's eye can pick color combinations that may seem unlikely at first but look fabulous once put together.
11) I love my artistic nature. I've never met a craft I don't like or one I can't at least become competent at. There are quite a few crafty things I excel at and a host of things I'm at least passably good at.
It's amazing how hard it is to be complimentary to yourself. I found myself questioning and second guessing my words. Will I sound like I'm bragging? Will I sound obnoxious about it? But, damn does it make you feel good when you finally put those words on the screen...These are the things I like and love about myself.
Take a moment and spread the love...share the warm fuzzies. Tell me my dear friends, what do you like about yourself? I challenge each of you who read this post to chime in in the comment section with something you genuinely like or love about yourself.
Since it will probably be too late for you to join in CiaoMom's wonderful event (entries close the night of the 18th), I'm going to offer a prize of some sort...created by my crafty fingers...to one of the brave women who step forward and tell me what she likes about herself.
Thanks to my dear friend Kir for bringing this to my attention.