"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing. " -Helen Keller

Monday, July 11, 2011

Better Late Than Never

I've been debating a lot about writing this post because, after all, the subject of Casey Anthony's guilt or innocence has been done to death. But, the more I thought about it, the more I decided I had to weigh in on this.

Although I followed the trial a little bit, I didn't follow or watch it obsessively. I'm sure there are things I missed. However, I am comfortable saying that I believe what Casey Anthony did was unforgivable and that karma will bite her in the ass someday. Either Casey killed her little girl and covered it up or her little girl died a tragic, accidental death and she lied about it and went on partying and living life. In my book, both acts are equally incomprehensible. I simply can not wrap my mind around an outlook that would make either of those acts ok.

Having said that, I MUST also say that I believe the jury did the right thing given the evidence they were presented with. My gut tells me that Casey Anthony is guilty as hell but, if I had sat on that jury, I believe I would have had to vote not guilty also. Our standard of law demands that, in the face of reasonable doubt, you must vote not guilty. The prosecution in the Casey Anthony trial could NOT present a cause of death. They could NOT present a murder weapon. All they could present was a lot of circumstantial evidence and one lying bitch. The smell of death and a few hairs in the trunk of Casey's car do not prove she killed Caylee. It does prove the body was in the car but it does NOT prove murder. The jurors who have spoken have all said it made them sick to their stomach to vote not guilty but they were following the letter of the law.

While I believe Casey Anthony deserves to rot in hell, I Must give kudos to those jurors for having the moral fortitude to follow the letter of the law.

What do you think about it all?

6 comments:

JW Moxie said...

Once again, we have very similar opinions about a topic. I like most what you said here: "In my book, both acts are equally incomprehensible."

I really hope that the movement for Casey's Law takes root and makes it a severely punishable crime if a child goes missing and a parent/caretaker does not report it within a reasonable amount of time.

Mrs. Gamgee said...

I whole heartedly agree. It's immensely unfortunate and maddening as hell that she got off, but there really wasn't any other option for them.

She will get what she deserves some day, I'm sure.

Anonymous said...

I was disgusted but not surprised by the verdict. I followed the case, though not in depth - but it was obvious there wasn't enough evidence to convict. I just find the whole thing so sad. I really feel sorry for the grandparents..

Barb said...

I agree with you 100% on all you said. It upsets me when people bash this mode of thinking and get so angry about it. We absolutely cannot convict people of crimes in this country because we suspect they did it or because we don't like them or their behavior. If that were the case, it would be a horrible place indeed.

That being said, I do wish she could have had something done to her for not reporting the disappearance, regardless of whether she's guilty or not. That's awful. Thank you for writing this.

Quiet Dreams said...

I agree with you. The whole thing makes me sick.

battynurse said...

I agree with you too. I think the whole thing is a screwed up mess and regardless of what actually happened a little girl is still dead and her mom didn't handle it right at all. However from what I saw (and I didn't watch it constantly either) they did not prove her guilt beyond a shadow of doubt and in that case they had to find her not guilty. It still sucks but it is what it is.