"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing. " -Helen Keller

Monday, July 25, 2011

My Fellow Americans

We live in the land of the free and home of the brave, the great Melting Pot, a country that espouses religious freedom and tolerance for your fellow man...or that's what we're suppose to do. Since 9/11, I've watched and I've seen. I've seen things that make me incredibly proud of who we are as a country and what we stand for. I've also seen things that have made me want to weep because of the hypocrisy and narrow minded assholery they display. I knew it was time to say something (past time really) when I saw this piece over on Cecily's blog and recalled a conversation I had with a relative who should know better. This relative informed my that Obama was really a closet Muslim and he lied to us abotu it because the Koran says it's okay for Muslim's to lie to non-Muslims in order to advance their cause. This relative further said that ALL Muslims who truly believe in the Koran believe in the violence perpetrated against our country because the Koran espouses those actions. If such a well-educated and supposedly open minded person can hold on to such warped, wrong headed ideas, then anyone can and that scares me. Please, please watch this and remember that you can't judge a book by it's cover or, in this case, you can't judge a patriot by their name or their religion.

Learn more and please pass it on.

Where do you stand on this issue and has anypne you know an d love surprised you with something they've said?

3 comments:

Jen said...

you know my story. My kids are friends with Muslims, we are Jewish, if we can get along, I don't see why anyone can't. We all pray to one G-d.

Mrs. Gamgee said...

I was genuinely surprised to hear my Grandmother spouting the 'Obama is a secret Muslim' line a few years ago. It was shocking to me to hear that come from a woman who I love and respect. We ended up having a terrible disagreement about it, and I struggle with it even now when I see her.

Barb said...

I had the same problem with my Grandmother. :( There is SO much wrong with that line of thinking, I don't even know where to start! The worst of it is, WHY WOULD IT BE WRONG TO BE A MUSLIM? That's the most horrible... that it's an assumption that you'd have to shamefully hide it and couldn't be our president if that were the case.

And some of us pray to more than one God or no God, and we should all still get along.