"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing. " -Helen Keller

Wednesday, July 20, 2011

In Which I Became A Peacock...

Yesterday, I went in to get my hair dyed. Last year, when I went purple, I did it myself with Manic Panic UltraViolet...
I loved the look and thought it turned out well (I certainly got compliments) but I wanted to do something a bit different this year. Since the purple had long since faded and my hair had grown out substantially,
I had to start by bleaching out my roots (yes, all that hair growth is in the past year). After all, if I'm going to rock some color I want it to be bright and bold.
Since I decided to expand my color palette this year to include both Manic Panic UltraViolet and Manic Panic AtomicTurquoise,
I decided to go to a hair salon to have it put in and I made an appointment at the fabulous Salon Jon Clay here in Cary. I bought 2 jars of UltraViolet and 1 jar of AtomicTurquoise and took them to my appointment yesterday.

It was kind of funny how much attention my dye job attracted. Kim, my stylist, said she had done streaks of color but had never done a full head of such an unusual color. The other stylists kept stopping by to see how it went as Kim progressed with the dye job. My original plan was for almost all of the hair to be purple with a few streaks of turquoise. It was all going swimmingly. My turquoise streaks were in, my hair was over halfway done, Kim and I were chatting, and she turned to get more dye on the brush. She commented that it looked like we would have just enough purple to do the job. As she turned back, I heard a rather loud crash followed by a loud "Shit" from Kim. Generally when your stylist says SHIT, it isn't a good thing. As she turned back, something knocked the remaining purple onto the floor and we lost about 2/3 of what was in the bowl to splatter. Poor Kim was so upset but I laughed and said "Just do the underneath back with the turquoise. It's not like I'm going for normal and we have enough left." Well, it turned out that the spillage was a serendipitous mistake. In the back, the purple merges into the turquoise and the turquoise fades towards the ends. It totally looks like it was done on purpose and I told Kim she should claim it was planned. The lady having her hair done next to me commented that she wished she was brave enough to do something like that because it looked really cool.

So, this year I'm sporting a peacock look just in time for BlogHer. Hopefully, I can find some clothes to match.
So, do y'all like it? Would you ever do something funky with your hair?

17 comments:

JW Moxie said...

WOW! You WIN. I BOW DOWN. It is SO PRETTY! If I weren't a teacher, I would love to take a chunk of my hair and dye it flame red or something. Damn that thing about needing to be taken seriously....

Katie said...

FUN!!! I def won't miss you at BlogHer now :))))

Deb Rox said...

Gorgeous!!!

AnotherDreamer said...

Oh, I love it!!! SO CUTE!

Sandy said...

LOVE IT!!! I have big plans for my hair, after I get tenure, lol. I'm thinking rainbow colors and or dreads.

Jo said...

Omg...I LOVE this!!! I am in awe of your bravery. This color palatte is so flattering on you, and I love the contrast. Its even better than the "plain" purple, I think!! Now the real trick: could you replicate it again next year? :-)

Tillie said...

OMG I LOVE!!!! You look fabulous. I wish I was going to BlogHer!!

Rachee said...

I dig! I so want to do a blue but wussed out and went with boring sorta blonde. I'm a library chick and think I can get away with bo-ho; I think I'll rock another color for my birthday.
-r

Jenn said...

Such gorgeous color! You have the perfect skin tone for those particular colors. I don't, sadly (see? http://www.flickr.com/photos/kiss-my-kitty/5837485972/). Hot pink is definitely the way to go in my case (http://www.flickr.com/photos/kiss-my-kitty/5935039931/).

Have fun at BlogHer! I'm sure you'll turn plenty of heads.

Anonymous said...

I love it! You are so the cool mom!

Once A Mother said...

love the color combo - looks almost iridescent :)

Keiko Zoll said...

I am loving - LOVING - the peacock look. It's so bright and vibrant and suits you beautifully! Hooray for happy accidents ;)

BB said...

Wow... that looks amazing, I must say!

Well, I am stopping by probably after 2 years... and this time coming back from St. E. Even though I couldn't contribute to the package you sent her, I want to say that you did such an amazing job of organizing the little box for her! You truly rock! XOX

Kir said...

ooooh it's so pretty, look at all those amazing colors. You are really ROCKIN that look!!!

I so wish i was going to BlogHer this year just to be able to see this in person. WOW! xo

AlexMMR said...

The peacock is the animal for Hera, queen of the greek gods. You go girl!

Lori Lavender Luz said...

SO beautiful! You wear it well, those gorgeous colors.

Wish I could see you in person!

AnnaBelle said...

I really like those colors on you! And the braid is especially pretty :)