"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing. " -Helen Keller

Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Lifted Up With Kindness

Welcome back to the coolest summer camp around, Calliope's Blogging Summer Camp. Today, Head Counselor Calliope posed the following question for Day 20What is the kindest thing anyone has ever done for you? Did you repay the kindness? Did you blog about it?

This is a really hard question for me to answer because I have had some really phenomenal things done for me during my life. When we were in the depths of infertility hell, the fabulous ladies of the Cross Stitch Crazy board made me a quilt in memory of all my lost little ones. I had two wonderful, lovely friends who dropped their lives, packed up their kids, and came to take care of me during that same time frame. I have had other people do wonderful, helpful things that I simply can't discuss here. When I haven't been able to repay the person directly for the amazing kindnesses they've done me, I have always made sure I paid it forward.

Day 13
Tell us about the best job you ever had, and the worst. Do you ever quote or reference blogs while at work? Other than being a mom, the very best job I've ever had was when I volunteered as a paramedic. I think at some level, I'm an adrenaline junkie and, oh man, did being a paramedic give me that fix. I got to see the weird of the weird and I got to help people who really needed it. I have stories to last a lifetime and, if the hours were more family friendly, I'd do it again in a heartbeat.

The worst job I had was working as a weekend residential counselor at a group home. Here in NC, the type of group home I worked at was known as a Willie M home and was for emotionally disturbed children with violent tendencies. I know the kids were emotionally disturbed. I could have dealt with it better if I had a decent boss but our boss was a raving bitch who never supported her staff and was more than willing to throw us under the bus if she thought it would advance her position. She didn't back me up when I had a financial claim because of the damage the kids did to my car. It was truly a job from hell.

Do you ever blog or read blogs while at work? Considering my current job is being a stay at home wife and mother, that's the only time I have to blog and read blogs.

Day 14
How do you typically dress to run errands? Do you think bloggers dress better or worse than “regular people”? I dress very casually most days...some might even say a bit sloppily at times. I adore beautiful clothes and would LOVE to be able to afford nicer clothes but our budget is limited and most of it goes to the kids. Such is life. I think bloggers have the same variations of stylish vs casual or sloppy dressers that the rest of society has.

So, tell me about a kindness done for you or your best/worst job or maybe your style of dress. I wanna know all about you!
*****************************
Don't forget to stop by my Summer Block Party and enter to win.

1 comment:

Megan (Best of Fates) said...

I wear dresses every day to work. This is because it looks fancy yet is by far the easiest way to dress, thus fitting in my requirement that I can do it while being lazy.