"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing. " -Helen Keller

Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Tomorrow

Tomorrow, I get to use two skills together that I haven't had to use together in a long time...my medical knowledge and my writing and editing ability. Tomorrow, those skills mean I have to revisit a day almost 2 years past. Tomorrow, I am helping my mother-in-law gather the final information she needs and proof reading what she wrote so she can file an official complaint regarding my father-in-law's death.

See, he didn't have to die. He had surgery for cancer and they got it all. It was such a clean removal that he wasn't even going to need chemo or radiation. He had been given a clean bill of health and the doc expected him to live for years. But, two things happened that shouldn't have happened. For two days, when he was stuck in a hospital bed, they forgot to put his *compression stockings on and, less than an hour before he died, his nurse insisted on giving him a shot of insulin despite his blood sugar being below 90 and despite the fact that both of them questioned it. When he died, he died so quickly. If I had to bet on it, I would almost guarantee he threw a clot...probably a pulmonary embolism. When that happens, the person is usually lost immediately. Because my MIL didn't have an autopsy done, we can't say without a doubt what caused him to die so suddenly and that very likely means this complaint won't go anywhere. But, in my heart of hearts and in my medically oriented brain, I know it shouldn't have happened. Sigifredo Cruz-Vega should still be here today.

Tomorrow...I'm not sure I want it to come...but it will and I will because I owe it to him.

13 comments:

Quiet Dreams said...

What a painful memory that must be. Hugs, hugs.

Kakunaa said...

This must be so difficult for you...I hope that it brings some closure for you. HUGS

Stacie said...

Oh, Kristin. Sending love and strength your way. Hugs.

_ said...

(((Hugs))) sweetie! I'll be thinking about you tomorrow. Wishing you the strength that you need to get through tomorrow.

Lynn said...

Such a difficult thing to have to remember! My thoughts are with you, hun, and your MIL. I hope this will help you all and will bring justice for your FIL.

Let me know if I can help you with anything. I write medical appeal letters to insurance companies for a living and, while I know it's not the same thing, if you need any help at all (not that I doubt your abilities!) I'll gladly lend it.

[[HUGS]]

battynurse said...

Wow. Sounds like tomorrow is going to be a hard day. My thoughts are with you and your family. Hugs to you all.

Mrs. Gamgee said...

I hope that going through this process will not be in vain, and that it will not be too hard. I will be thinking of you and your MIL and praying tomorrow!

Shelly- Mom Files said...

Geez, I know everyone is going through a lot emotionally but I do hope you get some answers and closure about this ordeal.

AnotherDreamer said...

(*hugs*) How difficult. I will be thinking of you.

Dave Hingsburger said...

That's going to be one of the hardest things you will ever write. I hope that you take care of yourself as you prepare to confront a 'system' that is supposed to care but often doesn't. Godspeed.

Dora said...

Oh, so hard. Thinking of you.

Deb said...

Sending peace and strength your way.

Calliope said...

I am so sorry that you guys have to relive something so painful. Thinking of you.