"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing. " -Helen Keller

Sunday, August 22, 2010

The Lighter Side

The lighter side of preparing a wrongful death case or how to make your mother-in-law gasp and laugh...

Like I told y'all, I spent Thursday afternoon helping my mother-in-law prepare the papers for her wrongful death complaint against the local hospital my FIL was in. After we ran a few errands and got some yummy lunch, we wet back to her house to work on the letter. Now, what y'all have to understand is that English is not my MIL's first language. My husband and his family are Puerto Ricans and obviously spoke Spanish first. My MIL is a very intelligent lady but, when she writes, she occasionally has problems with certain grammar rules, syntax, and verbs. So, it's not like I had to do tons to the letter. I just polished it. We started going over it and, of course, started talking about the whole time in the hospital and a lot of other things about my FIL. She started telling me how it took her almost 4 days to write the letter...not because the language issues were hard but because the emotions would overwhelm her. As she was saying this, I could hear her voice start to crack and I could tell she needed to take a moment. I told her "Mom, you need a break. You need to laugh. Let me show you something." And, I showed her (warning, warning...pictures are NSFW...Not Safe For Work...but will cause you to laugh your ass off) this and this. She gasped, totally cracked up, and we made it through the rest of the afternoon without losing it.

Was it wrong to show my MIL pictures like that? Or was it more odd that I knew they would make her laugh.

10 comments:

Mrs. Gamgee said...

Possibly a little odd, but I'm glad they did the trick! To quote one of my all time favourite movies, 'laughter through tears is my favourite emotion'.

I'm sorry that your family is having to deal with such a sh1tty situation, and that it has to keep being re-lived through. Praying that this comes to a quick and decisive end soon.

Quiet Dreams said...

I think it's awesome that you could show those to your MIL...and that you knew just what would make her laugh.

battynurse said...

I can't imagine how difficult this whole process is for your MIL or for you. Laughter truly is the best medicine sometimes though and to lighten up a day that is focused a lot on painful memories those pictures will definitely do it. Glad you could share them and make her laugh. My heart goes out to her and your family. I hope you're all able to get some closure from the process and some sort of resolution.

Anonymous said...

First of all why do you have those pictures?!! I think its funny. I have a very open relationship with my MIL. That's great that you know her so well. Do you speak spanish? do your kids?

Barb said...

hehehe. :) It's WONDERFUL that you are that close. I wish I could say the same. xo

Lynn said...

LMAO! I'm glad they made her laugh. I can't say too much about what's appropriate or inappropriate with MILs. I have a rather volatile relationship with my MIL. Sometimes we're fine and can joke around.....others, not so much. I will, however, say there is an inappropriate inside joke she, The Hubs and I share regarding a pub we found on one of our days out in England called "The Cock and Pullet". I think you can work out the joke for yourself :D

Kakunaa said...

Those are absolutely fabulous :)

AmandaM said...

thanks for commenting on my blog!

and I totally lol'd at those pictures!! :)

~Happy ICLW!
#150

thepunkrockmom said...

What a hard thing to have to do, and you were so right to add a bit of levity and a breif moment of respite from such a difficult task.
The pictures are hilarious!

Happy IComLeavWe!
<3MaryAnne #135

Meari said...

ROFL! Too funny.