"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing. " -Helen Keller

Friday, August 20, 2010

It was a mistake.

Thursday was hard. I spent the afternoon helping my MIL put together her wrongful death complaint against the hospital my FIL died in. We edited the letter she wrote and then went through the copious pages of medical records. I was wrong when I guessed in my previous post about the cause of death but the mistake that killed him is so obvious and it is documented right there in the records. I hope they will settle out of court as it is a clear cut case of a mistake made. My MIL's family doc looked at this records and said "Ruth, they killed him." Have you ever heard a doc say that about a medical case?

I came home totally drained and wasn't much better today. I can only imagine how she must feel.

12 comments:

Kakunaa said...

HUGS sweetie. I hope that you are all able to get some sort of closure with this.

Lynn said...

Oh, honey :( I'm so sorry it was such a tough day for both of you. I really hope they will settle out of court and give you all some closure. While it won't make up for his loss, it will at least be an acknowledgement from them that they made a mistake. Big Hugs to you!

Quiet Dreams said...

A million hugs. Thinking of you so much and sending you much love across the miles.

Stacie said...

Hugs, Kristin. What a punch in the gut to find the proof right in his file. It won't bring him back, but maybe your complaint will bring your family some closure. Much love...

areyoukiddingme said...

My sympathies. There's no way to make a preventable death better, but I hope that the hospital will be held accountable for their mistake.

Frugality Mom said...

((((Hugs))) to you and your family. That must have been so hard to hear, knowing that a mistake they made took away someone you loved very much. I hope now the closure you and your family deserve comes quickly.

Alex said...

I'm so sorry. You're a good woman for helping your MIL put this together, I'm sure that was so incredibly hard.

MrsSpock said...

Oy. Most of us in the medical field have made some kind of error at one time or another. I have. And thank God it never caused harm. Hugs to you all.

tracey.becker1@gmail.com said...

Damn. I cannot imagine... I'm glad you're there for her, though. Take care.

Kelly said...

Oh my. I'm so sorry that you're going through this. My thoughts are with both of you.

Dora said...

Oh, hon, I'm so sorry. The hospital absolutely has to be held accountable. You are a wonderful daughter in law.

Meari said...

That's terrible!