"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing. " -Helen Keller

Monday, August 16, 2010

Perfect Moment Monday: a blast from the past

Lori over at Weebles Wobblog says that "Perfect Moment Monday is more about noticing a perfect moment than about creating one. Perfect moments can be momentous or ordinary or somewhere in between."

I recently got to travel through the wayback machine and, thanks to facebook, reconnected with a bunch of people I went to elementary school an junior high with. And, as fun as seeing all the pics of me from elementary school was, the pics were not the perfect moment. The perfect moment was a message I got as a result of reconnecting with these classmates. The message was...
Hey Kristin,
I was really happy to see you on FB and humbled when you sent me a friend request.
I was such a little jerk to you and have thought about that often.
I have raised two daughters and realized (been Taught) how things said by another child can be taken hard.
You look GREAT and so happy.
I deeply apologize for being THAT jerk on the bus. I hope you can forgive me one day.
I think it takes a lot of guts and a lot of insight to come forward so many years later and recognize your childhood behavior for what it was. This guy has grown into a fine man and I'm proud to count him as a friend. Getting this message just made my day.

Go check out the other perfect moments at this week's Perfect Moment Monday on Weebles Wobblog.
****************************************
By the way, please take a moment to read my previous post. It covers something that is really important.

13 comments:

Mrs. Gamgee said...

Wow! That certainly does qualify as a perfect moment! I'm just stunned at his honesty and grown up-ness... :)

Sheri said...

As I read your Perfect Moment, I was so touched by this man's message to you. It clearly shows that people (even former jerks) can grow and change.

What a great message to receive.

It was great meeting you at BlogHer. Loved the purple hair! :)

Thanks for sharing your Perfect Moment!

battynurse said...

Wow. That's spectacular. You're right, it does take a lot of guts to step up like that.

Colette S said...

Wow. We rarely find these people who within their hearts can recognize our humanness and apologize and take responsibility for the choices we made...even as children.

That is wonderful and I'm glad you received it. I'm sure it healed something within your heart.

Nancy C said...

I think that is awesome. You can never underestimate the good people can find deep down...even if it takes years!

Lori Lavender Luz said...

Bravo to the person who turned reflective after all these years!

And bravo to you for noticing a perfect moment in it.

MrsSpock said...

Wow! I am FB friends with a couple people who tormented me in high school. No one has been quite openly apologetic, and that's fine- but, hey, it is nice to have the acknowledgment that someone has grown up and feels remorse for their actions.

Shelly- Mom Files said...

Wow that was quite a message and it took a lot of guts and sincerity to write that. That is really wonderful!

Lynn said...

That is a perfect moment! It's so wonderful to see how far you've both come since school years. I'm glad he got the chance to apologise to you and I'm glad you got the chance to forgive him. It makes me so happy for you both.

Working on my post re your last post. I will get it up...may be the weekend, but fear not...it's a-coming!

Quiet Dreams said...

What an amazing message. Wow. Gives me some hope. :)

Ziggy said...

How sweet of him to send you that message! He could easily have ignored his past actions, or chalked them up to being a kid, and not thought twice about taking responsibility for them as an adult. I love that he has raised daughters and grew threw them. Awesome post :)

Ziggy (visiting via Weebles Wobblog)

Delenn said...

Wow. I think that is a message that a lot of us who were picked on and teased at school would love to receive.

Meari said...

I can see how that would make your day. It made me feel good for you that you received such a heartfelt message.