"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing. " -Helen Keller

Thursday, February 12, 2009

When Life Gives You Lemons...


I guess I'm one of the people who make lemonade...or as Soralis says, maybe I'm the pause that refreshes (hehe, don't know why that strikes me as funny but it does). I was given the Lemonade Stand Award by Soralis.

Here are the rules for The Lemonade Stand Award:
1. You must link back to the person you received the award from.
2. You have to nominate 10 bloggers who are deserving of this award!

So, thank you Soralis. The following people are either the pauses that refresh me or they have made lemons into lemonade. I'm going to nominate Beautiful Mess, Stacie, Lori, Kym, Rebel, Robin (my stitchy friend), Cara, MiPa, Bean, and Angrycanrn.

******************************

I also got nominated for the Honest Scrap Award by the wonderful JuliaS and the fabulous Cara. I've been wondering where it started and what the creator of the award wanted it to stand for. I googled it and found varying meanings but never found the creator. According to one blogger, "This award is about bloggers who post from their heart, who oftentimes put their heart on display as they write from the depths of their soul." Another blogger says, "Scrap means left overs, fragments, discarded material, and many times truth and honesty is discarded material, considered fragments and left over. So, we need to tell it like it is, and let the scraps fall where they will."

The rules of the award:1) Choose a minimum of 7 blogs that you find brilliant in content, design, or honesty.2) Show the 7 winners names and links on your blog, and leave a comment informing them that they were prized with "Honest Scrap." Well, there's no prize, but they can keep the nifty icon.3) List at least 10 honest things about yourself.

10 Honest Things About Me
  1. I have very little patience for people who are willfully ignorant or stoopid. The key here is the WILLFUL part.
  2. I love and retain the oddest trivial facts...so does my hubby. If they ever had a couples version of Jeopardy, we would kick ass.
  3. I both love and hate having big boobs. They are great because my hubby loves them and they balance out my hips. However, they are also a pain in the ass back. I have to buy a larger size up top to accommodate them. I've had to custom order my bras for years (but yay, manufacturers finally have caught up and make a 38 L). I simply can NOT comprehend why people would pay to have boobage this size.
  4. I hated my curly hair when I was little. When I lived in Hawaii, I was stuck with the nickname Bird's Nest for the entire 2 years we were there.
  5. I was LAZY with my learning when I was in college. I avoided classes that would make me really have to work and stretch my brain (like organic chemistry). I really regret that now.
  6. I am a nerd and a geek at heart. I love learning about things...how they work, how they are made, new scientific theory, new knowledge about genetics and reproduction.
  7. I am really scared that I will lose my husband some day. When he was a firefighter, the thought of losing him in a fire terrified me. Now, I am scared that his diabetes will continue to be a BIG issue and will take him from me long before I'm ready.
  8. I come across as being self confident and secure and most of the time I am. However, there is a little part of me that is desperately insecure. I think it goes back to all the teasing and exclusionary behavior I was subjected to in middle school (damn kids are cruel).
  9. My dorm in college sponsored a "Come As You Aren't" Party. I wore a royal blue teddy, fishnet stockings, and a pair of 4 inch strappy heels. I was not wearing the most revealing costume there.
  10. I can do fairly complicated math problems in my head. I picture a blackboard in my mind and actually write the problem out on it.
I always have trouble deciding who to pass these awards on to. I never want anyone to feel left out or get their feelings hurt. So after much deliberation, I want to ask these bloggers to join the scrap pile...Cecily from Uppercase Woman, Dora from ISO the Golden Egg, Tanyetta of Days Like These, Shelly from MOMFILES.com, Meari from Meari's Musings, Mel of Stirrup Queens, and Megan of Hip to be Squared.

Oh crap, while I can do complex math problems in my head, I obviously can't count and listed 8 instead of 7 recipients. Deal with it...LOL.

12 comments:

JuliaS said...

LOL on the complicated math problems and still not being able to count to 7!

I'm so glad you did this - I think it is fun learning some little new bits about people I've started to get to know. Especially in the IF blogosphere - we know we have a commonality either through infertility or baby loss, but seeing the other, human traits that go along with that shared experience is neat.

Sadly, my dh is woefully inept in the area of trivia. He is however, a wiz at OChem. I think a game of Trivial Pursuit with you, Lori, Kimberli and myself would be a blast! (and I love Jeopardy!)

Shelly- Mom Files said...

well congrats on your awards and how sweet to send one my way! I will post about it next week. You are so sweet :) I enjoyed reading your honest facts.

Lori Lavender Luz said...

That must have been soooooome college party!

very cool you can do difficult math in your head.

Thanks for the Lemonade Stand Award. I am honored! Loved your honest scraps.

Beautiful Mess said...

Love that you wore something sexy to that party! Thanks for the award, I'm honored. HUGS!!!!

JW Moxie said...

Thank you so, so, so much for the award. Seriously - that is like one of the most special ones that I have received! I'll be passing it along this weekend!

*Tanyetta* said...

You are sooooo sweet. Thank you :)

Soralis said...

You are a great refreshing blog to read! :) Thanks for playing along! :)

Oh the math problem issue, I used to do a similar thing (that's when my brain was still working! LOL)

MrsSpock said...

A fellow geek!

Mr S and I also do pretty well at Jeopardy.

Wow, hard to imagine a pair of L-cups in a blue teddy- ay carrumba!

Anonymous said...

Aw, thanks! :) I'm with you on the complicated math problems in my head - its the easy ones I need pencil and paper for :)

NHStitcher said...

Thank you! I will get mine posted shortly!

Lollipop Goldstein said...

I also wish I could go back to college and take more classes. It seems a shame that college is this one clump of time. I wish you could keep going back as your world expands and take more classes. Four years off and then one year on.

Stacie said...

What a wonderful surprise! Thank you for the Lemonade Stand Award!

Plus, I love the new look! (I haven't been out and about much lately--sorry!)