"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing. " -Helen Keller

Wednesday, February 11, 2009

"Fidelity": Don't Divorce...

Prop. 8 Sponsors Seek To Nullify 18,000 Gay Marriages

"The sponsors of Proposition 8 asked the California Supreme Court on Friday to nullify the marriages of the estimated 18,000 same-sex couples who exchanged vows before voters approved the ballot initiative that outlawed gay unions.

The Yes on 8 campaign filed a brief arguing that because the new law holds that only marriages between a man and a woman are recognized or valid in California, the state can no longer recognize the existing same-sex unions. The document reveals for the first time that opponents of same-sex marriage will fight in court to undo those unions that already exist.

"Proposition 8's brevity is matched by its clarity. There are no conditional clauses, exceptions, exemptions or exclusions," reads the brief co-written by Kenneth Starr."


I don't agree with Proposition 8 but I do believe the residents of a state have the right to decide this matter for themselves. However, nullifying these marriages would violate the constitution of our nation. "In the United States, ex post facto laws are prohibited in federal law by Article I, section 9 of the U.S. Constitution and in state law by section 10." These marriages were legal when performed. Forcibly nullifying them is a clear violation of the provision against ex post facto laws. I also believe that nullifying these marriages would be a strike against decency and morality.

My friend Dora brought my attention to a video put out by the Fidelity: Don't Divorce campaign. This video was compiled to show the country and the world the very real people and lives that would be devastated if these marriages were nullified. It is also one of the most beautiful videos I have ever had the pleasure of watching.




If you feel as I do, click on over couragecampaign.org/Divorce and sign the petition to help protect these marriages.

*Feel free to disagree with me but keep the comments civilized and no personal attacks

11 comments:

Pamela T. said...

Thanks for posting this video. I live in California and I'm all for committed couples who want to marry, marrying. What business is it of others, really, to take away someone else's happiness? I signed the petition, of course...

Beautiful Mess said...

I, too agree with you. I don't see anything wrong with letting ANYONE marry. I think it's horrible that these couples' marries can be nullified. That's not fair. Thank you for posting this!

Shelly- Mom Files said...

what a great post! I don't wholeheartedly agree with same sex marriage but who the heck am I to judge anyway?

princessjo1988 said...

It's a sad realisation of someone's unfounded fears, born of years of stigma and judgement.

I hope that the USA can shake off its judgmental past.

Jo

Anonymous said...

that video gave me chills Kristin, I signed.

'Murgdan' said...

I love that video. It made me cry the first time I saw it.

AnotherDreamer said...

I saw this video on Dora's blog as well. It brought tears to my eyes.

Furthermore I also believe banning Gay marriage, and nullifying it, is against individuals religious freedoms. Many religions are okay with gay marriages, and many perform them... I don't see why those religious acts aren't recognized while other religions marriages are. It's a blatant violation. But no one will admit it because it's a political gamble these days, used to buy votes.

I could go on and on... sorry.
Thank you for posting this.

Soralis said...

I am not sure what really think on this whole issue? I do not think they should be 'divorcing' those that have already been married though.

Love the update to your blog!

Take care

*Tanyetta* said...

Great new layout.

I believe marriage is reserved and intended between a man and woman.

As far as the video, hey, they're already 'married' let them do them.

Geez, I am so conflicted on how I feel. Blame the hormones. LOL

Anonymous said...

Gothick novel heyday, a construction coterie turned up to start edifice a topic on the waste lot.

The [url=http://kamachu.000space.com/ksd.html]183845[/url] [url=http://masuher.exteen.com/20121129/in-poland-the-ukrainian-woman-arrested-tried-to-bribe-the-bo]4le5h2ow[/url] 175015 [url=http://daclac.000space.com/isu.html]698295[/url] 6en5k8lc children sow's 5-year-old daughter as a consequence took an attracted aside temperament of in all the

hunger on easy boulevard on next door and done in much of each epoch observing the workers.

Anonymous said...

Unified duration, a construction band turned up to start erection a billet on the deficient in lot.

The 194399 175015 887841 3wy8u4vg [url=http://kamachu.000space.com/ksd.html]183845[/url] down maturity announce's 5-year-old daughter as expected took an attracted on in all the

force prospering on next door and dog-tired much of each the west end observing the workers.