"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing. " -Helen Keller

Friday, February 27, 2009

Sesame Street: Old School...not for little kids anymore...

I was reading blogs for ICLW this morning and Corrin of Oh hey, what's up? reminded me how much I adore the early episodes of Sesame Street. In late 2007, they finally started releasing the early episodes of Sesame Street on DVD which delighted Sesame Street addicts everywhere. But, what's this?!? The Sesame Street: Old School dvds came with a warning that they were adult only: “These early ‘Sesame Street’ episodes are intended for grown-ups, and may not suit the needs of today’s preschool child.”

What the *frack?!?!? Sesame Street is adult only? No fracking way! I grew up on those episodes. I loved those episodes. But wait, maybe they did handle things in a way we wouldn't today. I mean the adults show sarcastic humor about politics right before discussing Mr. Hooper's death with Big Bird? Might that send the wrong message...you can be sad but still enjoy your friends company...no way! Cookie Monster didn't have the balanced diet he has today. Instead, he consumed cookies by the truckload and smoked and chomped pipes during Mosterpiece Theatre. Could this lead our poor little darlings to have eating disorders? When even Sesame Street receives warning labels, ther is somethig seriously wrong with our society.

If you want to check out a great article about this, read the article written by Virginia Heffernan of the Times Magazine, Sweeping the Clouds Away.

Meanwhile, have a little fun. Tell me what you think of this and, if you are a Sesame Street fan, head on over to YouTube and do a search for Sesame Street. Come on back here and leave me the link to some of your favorite clips. This is my all time favorite routine...




*I edited my language because , after all, this is a post about Sesame Street.

13 comments:

Shelly- Mom Files said...

lol! Wow, a banana in your shoe. Sesame Street sure has come a long way!

StylinMom said...

ahhh Sesame Street...love it!!

thanks for visiting my blog...dropping in for ICLW...

m :)

Beautiful Mess said...

WHAT?! Why can't parents actually, ya kn ow, PARENT their children?! If you don't agree with something that's on TV, have a chat with your child about it. GGRRR I'm aggravated, lol. Although, I LOVE Robin, he is hilarious!!!! Happy Friday!!!

Dora said...

Here's my fave.

Anonymous said...

Wow, I had to giggle a bit at a warning label on a sesame street dvd. Thats crazy! I’ll have to check out some old clips on you tube....

And thanks for the comment - not assvice at all :)

Cara said...

Tvless for two years so this is a SHOCK!

Meari said...

I grew up on Sesame Street, too. There's NOTHING wrong with me. (LOL hysterically)

Barb said...

Good grief! That's insanity! I remember watching those "adult" episodes and learning soooo much from their sensitivity and intelligence.

aarrghghgghmmph. I guess I'll just have to buy the old ones on DVD if I want my kids to actually LEARN SOMETHING.

Erin said...

Here from ICLW! I was hoping to show those to my child. Wow, I might be corrupting him.

Lori Lavender Luz said...

I love the Electric Company ones, too.

If I go over to YouTube and start looking at these, I will be useless the rest of the day. Maybe even weekend.

JW Moxie said...

Oooooohhhh...I just wasted a whole couple of hours watching flashback Sesame Street clips! I posted some of the videos on my blog, but here are some of my favorite clips:

Grover the Waiter with Simon the Sound Guy: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QaSeuMptfQ4

Smokey Robinson and the Letter U: You Really Got A Hold on Me http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UyUxVCR0p9g

The Ladybug Picnic: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xr8vUTm64h0

The Oinker Sisters with New Way to Walk: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ANQPlGmhAmA

And of course, the Pinball counting animations: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZshZp-cxKg

MrsSpock said...

One of my favorite old-school Sesame Street clips was of a little boy with an afro counting with Grover. That kid totally believed that puppet was real!

Lucky Jones said...

Wow, a warning label? I intend on allowing my child to watch these as I did... the world is just too sensitive nowadays, dontcha think?