"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing. " -Helen Keller

Wednesday, December 02, 2009

Happy Birthday Gabriel

Happy Birthday sweet boy! I can hardly believe you are 4 years old. But, when I look at everything you have accomplished in this year, I can hardly believe you are only 4. One of your biggest accomplishments is you are potty trained. It was a matter of putting my stubbornness up against yours but potty training finally happened. You don't know what a relief that is. I know that will power will serve you well later in life but it certainly has made parenting you a challenge.

I love that I never know what's coming next with you. You frequently make me laugh (remember the dancing on the toilet episode)...even when your humor proves you are as sick and twisted as your brothers and dad. I love watching you play and watch you act out the stories you create. You have an amazing imagination.

Like most mom's, I am firmly convinced you are brilliant. You know all your letters and can recognize most of them in both upper and lowercase. You can count in English and Spanish. Hell, you even know how to navigate your favorite website, PacmanGame. While you aren't reading yet, there are a number of words and letter combinations that you recognize. Your obsession with volcanoes has led you to learn a lot about them. You can tell me all about Mt. Hood, Mt. Adams, and Mt. Ranier. You can tell me about dormant, extinct and active volcanoes. You can even tell me about islands like Surtsey being formed by volcanoes. You have educated all of us about your obsession ;)

You are also stubborn and willful and see nothing wrong with screaming no at me if you don't like what I tell you. Those difficult moments (or is it days) are more than offset by the hugs and the snuggles and the I love yous. All in all, you are a pretty incredible little boy and I am so lucky to have you as my son. I would go through it all again, all the loss and all the heartache, as long as I knew you were waiting at the end.

19 comments:

Jen said...

Happy Birthday Gabe!

JuliaS said...

Oh wow! What an awesome day! Four is a wonderful age - one of my favorites for kids. :0) Happy Happy Birthday sweet Gabe! Hope it is as wonderful as you are.

My oldest daughter turns 13 today - it's her birthday too! Like I said - this is an awesome day!

areyoukiddingme said...

Happy Birthday, Gabe!

He sounds like a delight! I think he would be a fine match for my daughter, who argues EVERYTHING with me...

Meari said...

Happy Birthday, Gabe!

Mrs. Gamgee said...

Happy Birthday Gabe! I hope you have a fun day!

Bionic Baby Mama said...

happy birthday! december 2nd is quite likely the best birthday possible. (and i speak from personal experience.)

Tammy said...

Precious!

rys said...

Happy 4th Birthday, Gabe! I hope you have a wonderful day!

Shelly- Mom Files said...

Aww Happy Birthday Gabe!! 4?? wow!! I have enjoyed reading about all the good, silly and stinky stuff over time :)

JJ said...

Happy Birthday, Gabe!

Lori Lavender Luz said...

Gabe, you bring your Mama a lot of happiness. Happy 4th birthday!

Quiet Dreams said...

Happy Birthday, Gabe! What a beautiful boy he is!

MrsSpock said...

Happy Birthday to your little man!

Sandy said...

What a gorgeous picture! He's a handsome little feller.

Four is such a great age. I look forward to that time when Oscar starts exploring language and ideas.

Lollipop Goldstein said...

Happy birthday!

..al said...

Wish you a very happy birthday Gabey!

chicklet said...

This is an awesome post - so very real with the cute vs hard things, and how they all balance out to make him who he is. I can't wait to write something for Dayton like this one day:-)

Billy said...

Happy Birthday Gabe!

Beautiful Mess said...

I hope Gabe had a WONDERFUL birthday! I can't wait to see pictures of his cake!
*HUGS*