"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing. " -Helen Keller

Wednesday, December 09, 2009

SHOW AND TELL: Gabe's and My Birthdays

Welcome to our weekly expedition into the land of Show and Tell. Y'all know Show and Tell is wasted on the elementary schoolers. Join us weekly to show off an item, tell a story, and get the attention of the class. In other words, this is Show and Tell 2.0.

On Sunday, we celebrated my 40th birthday and Gabe's 4th birthday. We had a wonderful time and way, way too much cake. My mom brought me a cemetery cake featuring a tombstone with my name and birthdate on it. LOL, I can't complain too much because she is getting me back for what we did on her 50th birthday. As always, I made the kidlet's cake. Gabe requested a big red ghost game cake. In his world, the big red ghost game equals Ms. Pacman. That's right, I made a cake that looked like the screen of Ms. Pacman. Not only did it have the whole screen, it had the extra lives, and it even had a score. I decided his score would equal his age (365 days x 4 = 1460). I made a chocolate cream cheese frosting that I tinted almost black for the background. Then, I made a batch of fondant (and homemade fondant can actually be yummy) that I then tinted all the various colors needed for the game. This was the first time I've ever worked with fondant and I think I did a pretty good job. All pics are clickable and open in a new window.
I got some totally cool birthday presents - some gift cards and TICKETS TO BLOGHER (which I'm currently trying to order and the system is fighting back). I've already used the gift cards. I bought these cool pjs
and this gorgeous shirt plus some candy cane striped fuzzy socks that aren't pictured
*****************************************
To see what everyone else in class is bringing to SHOW AND TELL, take a trip to visit the Miss Mel, Goddess of the Infertility Blogosphere.

18 comments:

GINA and KEV said...

That cake is amazing! You're one crafty lady.

And happy happy happy birthday to you!

Lori Lavender Luz said...

Love that cake, my multitalented friend!

JEN said...

Fantastic cake. I would have loved that in the 1980's and it is so cool that your child wants it now :)

Anonymous said...

Awesome cake! I need to buy my tickets to Blogher as well.

..al said...

Beautiful cake!!! Totally love Pacman!!!

You got cool gifts too!

Shelly- Mom Files said...

Nice loot and that cake it amazing!!

Quiet Dreams said...

That cake is AWESOME! You did a fantastic job!

I also love your pj's. :)

JJ said...

That is one KICK ASS CAKE!

battynurse said...

That cake is really cool. It amazes me that people can make such fabulous things like that. I've never tasted fondant but it looks so cool.
Great pajamas too.

Annie said...

The cake is incredible! You are so talented.

Eileen said...

WOW!!!! You are so talented. LOVE that cake!

Anonymous said...

Wow, that's a lot of work ! It's beautiful and looks yummy.

Lin said...

The cake is absolutely amazing!! WTG!

Baby Smiling In Back Seat said...

Wonderful cake! Happy Birthday to both of you!

Erin said...

Awesome cake--very impressive!

Delenn said...

Awesome cake! Also love the picks of pjs! Blogher...I wonder if I can make it this year...I would love to meet you guys in RL...

Meari said...

Happy Belated Birthday to both you and Gabe! You did a great job on the cake.

*Tanyetta* said...

You have some amazing skills! LOVE LOVE LOVE that cake.

Let the record show, if Gabe and I are ever in the same room one day in our future, I shall CHALLENGE him to a game of Ms. Pacman. I am truly the champion when it comes to that game. NO SERIOUSLY! LOL :-)
I can only play if it's on the EXPRESS mode though. Can't do the slow motion mode. Tooooo CUTE!