"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing. " -Helen Keller

Tuesday, February 02, 2010

Oh the weather outside was frightful

Almost 60 hours after the snow and sleet stopped falling, this is what my yard still looks like. Now, I know for those of you up north, this is nothing but, for us Southerners, this is pretty damned impressive. The road in front of my house is clear because it gets hit by the sun almost all day but there are a LOT of secondary roads that are still completely covered. Hehe, the only reason part of my driveway is cleared is that I took advantage of my slave labor older children and had them shovel a section of it. Sadly, anything that melted on Monday (but didn't dry out) just refroze last night so there are a lot of treacherous spots out there. Yes folks, that means the school system is having its second snow day in a row...aaaarrrrghhhhhh, help me. Seriously though, it isn't that bad because Joey has been feeling completely better since Sunday and he spent yesterday hanging out with his friend Troy. Poor Marty has school today despite the school system being out. Oh, the joys of being home-schooled.

Despite all the snow and crud on the ground, I still got to see my friend Kristina on Sunday. Kristina, her children, and her charming significant other are in the country from England and are taking a trip up the east coast. They got to experience Southern hospitality at its best when two gentlemen pulled their car out of a snow drift on Saturday and didn't charge them anything for it. I hope the rest of their trip up the coast is less eventful. I also hope that the next time I see them we get more than a few hours to spend with each other.

On the home front, everyone is currently healthy. Once Vic started feeling better, he promptly lost most of his voice. Luckily, that issue cleared up. I almost succumbed to the nasty flu(like) illness going around the house but, I listened to my body and slept for a huge chunk of time one afternoon and that seemed to be what my body needed to avoid getting sick.

* Sadly, I just found out that while my driveway is safe to go down, I can only currently make it halfway up before there is enough slush that I lose traction.

11 comments:

Wishing 4 One said...

I know thats alot of snow for you, but its so pretty. Be careful on your driveway girl, do you guys salt there?

Wishing 4 One said...

Oh... so glad Vic recovered quickly and you fought off the nasty cold around you.

JuliaS said...

Hooray for not being sick!

Good luck with the snow. Having grown up in the mountains of Colorado - I really can't say I know how unnerving it could be for those areas that don't get it in large quantities or with any regularity! I recommend enjoying it from the warm confines of your home with a good book and snuggly afghan. :0)

I've managed one book so far this year. (Yay me - new record!) I may manage another one if we get all the sleet/icy rain they are forecasting for us and we are all homebound later this week. :0)

areyoukiddingme said...

Did you have an unscheduled sledding trip down the driveway?

Hope your snow melts quickly!

Quiet Dreams said...

I am not from "up north" and I definitely find all that white stuff impressive. And I hope that it stays away from my corner of "not up north." ;)

AnotherDreamer said...

Glad Vic is recovering, if not recovered (*hugs*) I'm sure I've said this before- but I hate snow. Ick. Beautiful yes, but such a pain. Be careful.

Jen said...

yeah, no kidding on Vic's voice..I was thinking he got awful deap lol. Glad you didn't get sick. Thanks for yapping

Mrs. Gamgee said...

Glad that everyone in your house is feeling better... that way I don't feel too bad about snorting with laughter that it was a snow day with that bit of snow. ;)

Salt, sand, whatever it takes... an icy driveway is no joke (as my formerly cracked tailbone can attest)

Oh, and yes, I am stoked for the Percy Jackson movie... we are actually making it a staff event. Ya, I'm that much of a geek!

Tammy said...

Oh, too cute on the snow. Mind you, it looks like you have more snow that where I am right now. Being in the great white north, people expect us to have a lot and we're getting off pretty luck this year. :)

Glad you were able to visit with Kristina and that Vic is starting to feel better too.

Thank you for the support on my blog in regards to my horse's ass situation. AUGH!!!!!

..al said...

Wow...that is a lost of 'almost' on health issues there, and I am glad that everyone came out unscathed....

I hope the snow does not trouble you any more...

battynurse said...

Yes that does look frightful. I remember growing up in the Seattle area. 2 inches of snow and they would send all the kids home in the middle of the day. No one wants to deal with it.
Glad Vic is feeling better and hope everyone else stays well too.