"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing. " -Helen Keller

Thursday, February 11, 2010

SHOW AND TELL: Knotty by Nature

Welcome to our weekly expedition into the land of Show and Tell. Y'all know Show and Tell is wasted on the elementary schoolers. Join us weekly to show off an item, tell a story, and get the attention of the class. In other words, this is Show and Tell 2.0.

It's been a while since I've showed of any of my crochet work so I thought I'd bring these items to the table. These two pair (almost) of socks are for my Sock It To Me buddy. The blue and white pair are actually slipper socks. They have thicker soles to withstand the wear and tear of being worn without shoes. The second, autumn colored pair of socks are heavy but can be worn with shoes.

And, I know I showed you this other piece ages ago when it was a work in progress. Well, it is finally in transit to the sweet baby it is meant to wrap up. This 6 to 12 point star afghan is made mostly from chenille so it is wonderfully soft.
********************
Don't forget to check out (and sign up for) my the 18 x 24 Poster Print Giveaway from uPrinting.com. ENTRIES END TONIGHT. Winner will be announced tomorrow.
********************
To see what everyone else in class is bringing to SHOW AND TELL, take a trip to visit the Miss Mel, Goddess of the Infertility Blogosphere.

15 comments:

Fat Chick said...

BEAUTIFUL! Your work is really, really beautiful!

I considered making socks for my SITM partner, but I started on a pair of slippers and they didn't go so well. There were soft as all get-out, though. Instead, I'm giving here store-bought socks, and then either 2 crocheted washcloths or one of the market bags I made (if I can ever finish the flowers) and eco-friendly stuff in the bag (like a water bottle, etc). I love swaps!

And I love your socks and afghan. Seriously, that baby blanket is beautiful!

Mrs. Gamgee said...

Wow! I so wish I was that talented. I tried crocheting a couple of years ago, and was able to do a couple of rows... but then it would get so tight that I couldn't get the hook through.

Sandy said...

So. Jealous. You are awesome! I wish I could knit or crochet. I am both left-handed and dyslexic, which makes learning new skills a little challenging.

By the way, I am LOVING the hat you made me. Warm, cozy, and fits my noggin. :)

niobe said...

I see.....SOCKS!

The horror. The horror.

(I'll admit they're absolutely adorable, but there is no reasoning with my sock-o-phobia)

battynurse said...

Cool socks and that afghan is outstanding. Very cool shape.

Lori Lavender Luz said...

LOVE the blue and white pair!

calliope said...

wow! you are the awesome!

Aunt Becky said...

I need some of those. Those are full of awesomesauce.

Baby Smiling In Back Seat said...

Thicker soles are a great idea. I was wondering why so many of my socks have gotten holes when I was on bedrest and after the babies were born, when I've barely left the house. Aha!

Shelly- Mom Files said...

Really awesome!! Do you have your own Etsy shop??

Suzy, Not a Fertile Myrtle said...

Lovely work! I'm getting together with a friend tomorrow to learn how to knit socks. Super excited!

Your socks are great!

..Soo.See.. said...

How cool is that?! Love me some slipper socks - b/c no matter how much I'm told to not be barefoot on the cold tile floor, slippers are the next best thing. You did awesome work! oh and p.s. love the new avi pic!

Quiet Dreams said...

You have one lucky SITM buddy (is it me?). :)

That afghan is gorgeous. Gorgeous. (Notice if you say something twice it means you're serious.)

Emma said...

Your crochet looks fantastic! I particularly love the afghan. It is beautiful.

Soralis said...

OMG I love those socks!!

I love the afghan too!

Where did you get the patterns???

I love to crochet, in my spare time! :)