"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing. " -Helen Keller

Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Yesterday was National Coming Out Day

and all day long my facebook status said Kristin Cruz is a straight ally and today is National Coming Out Day. I'm coming out for lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender equality because it's 2010 and only five states plus DC recognize that love, not gender, is what matters in a marriage. Donate your status and join me by clicking here: http://bit.ly/cwB4QT.

To me, this seemed like such a small  way to express my support, to show that I care. But, I've recently been reminded that small gestures can make big differences and this reminder pushed me into action.  See, I am trying very hard to raise three loving, accepting young men and, to do that, I have to live the life I am teaching them to embrace and my actions must follow my words.  Evidently, my words have been getting through because Joey wholeheartedly supports and believes that two loving adults of any gender deserve the right to be married.  I want this belief to continue.  I want my children to know and understand that the qualities that make someone a good friend remain unchanged  no matter who that friend chooses to love.  If I expect my teachings to take root and flourish, I think I need to become a little more vocal in my support for gay rights and gay marriage.  

I have a Save the Ta-Tas t-shirt to show my support for breast cancer research.  I think I  see one of these in my future...

With all the horrific stories we've heard lately about young people who've taken their life due to being tormented about their sexuality, it is the very least I can do.

4 comments:

The Maven said...

If I didn't think you were awesome enough before, I TOTALLY think it now. Here in the land of the north, we legalized gay marriage a few years ago and the whole concept is pretty widely accepted (except by the bigots - yes, we have a fair number of those, too). I've never been able to understand the fear and hatred associate with homophobia, and I hope my children never do, either.

battynurse said...

Oh I like that. I saw your status and copied it when I saw it.
I find myself hoping that maybe someone will see that and rethink their perspective. I did notice I got a comment from a friend at work who has been with her partner for quite a long time thanking me. I didn't even know what to say to her because to me it seems so logical that Love is the most important thing in marriage.

Quiet Dreams said...

Brava, Kristin. I linked to this article by Miss Conduct: http://robinabrahams.com/2010/10/11/national-coming-out-day-2/
where she said:
"If you believe homosexuality is wrong, or are opposed to gay marriage, you are the ones who have to explain why your personal religion or morality should be the law, and mine should not."

Kakunaa said...

Thank you for posting this. I was too sick to post that day, but it's a VERY important topic to me, given that my first marriage was to a woman. I cannot stand bigotry of any kind, and this is absolutely an important day in my life.