"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing. " -Helen Keller

Saturday, August 13, 2011

It's more than just the SwagHer

You'd be laughing your ass off if you had been in my living room last night. I finally got the swag I shipped home from BlogHer and was busy sorting through it. It looked like the Expo hall exploded in my living room. While I was sorting through it, I was thinking about my time at BlogHer and the myriad of different posts I've read about the conference. I've read posts from women who didn't attend a single session but went to parties and events and other things. I've read posts from women who spent their time trolling the Expo hall with their friends. I've read posts from people who found a happy medium between all the competing demands on their attention. Each and every one of them has ended up having a fabulous time.

For me, BlogHer is about so much more than the swag. Don't get me wrong. I like the swag. I git some really cool stuff and many of the vendors and sponsors were kind enough to let me grad some extras for my friend Rys (who couldn't go this year). And, I met some truly fabulous people who were at BlogHer representing their companies...the charming and lovely CEO of Smarties, the amazing people at the Hallmark booth who had the coolest shirts, the fab people at the Pressman Toy booth who swear they remember me from last year, and all the gracious sponsors at the Cheap Sally Party. But, truth be told, the swag I got was just the frosting on the cake of an amazing conference.

The best part of the conference for me is the people. I got to travel with my wonderful friends Kristi and Jennifer. The conference began for me when I saw and hugged Mel (so sweet and unassuming and truly wonderful). I saw Eden again (I don't think she knows just how much she rocks my world) and met the fantabulous Mrs. Woog. I got a big hug from Deb Rox and Kim and the Next Martha. I saw *Calliope Dresden (who is one of my heroes) and finally met the dear Stacie (another person who doesn't realize how wonderful she is). I also made a friend for life in the unbelievably rockin' Shauna. I know there were tons of other people too and I humbly beg your forgiveness if I didn't mention you.

And, the sessions and the keynotes and the Voices of the year...OMG, they were truly amazing. I was inspired and impressed and I laughed and cried. I can't even begin to summarize how wonderful these were and am just going to tell you to go check out the BlogHer '11 Virtual Conference.

As long as I have the people (even the sponsors and reps) and the sessions, I can live without the swag. I feel like a learned and grew so much. Now, if I can only figure out how to double the hours in the day while at BlogHer'12, I'll finally have enough time to hang with my favorite people and just bask in their presence.


*she finally gave up her alias

4 comments:

Mrs. Gamgee said...

So envious of your trip... Someday I'll go, too.

Eden Riley said...

Was so, so great to see you again! xo

TheNextMartha said...

It was a great time and I'd totally trade a water bottle for more time with people. My swag is still sitting there. Staring at me. Great seeing you too. Love running into people that I "know"

JJ said...

Next year Ill see you for more than 2 minutes :) So glad you had a great experience!