"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing. " -Helen Keller

Tuesday, August 23, 2011

How Not To Buy A House: a lesson in comedy, futility, and madness (part 2)

When I left off the tales of our house buying adventure, we had found the names of people to clear the land, pour the foundation, and dig the well. After a few weeks, B finally got off his ass and had scheduled these jobs and work was just barely starting to happen. Things were looking up. Then, we got the next set back call.

When you buy a mobile or modular home, many dealerships offer the option to buy furniture and have the cost rolled into your mortgage. We had taken advantage of that option and had ordered a living room suite. That set back call I mentioned, it had to do with our furniture. According to B, the furniture had come in quickly and was placed it in a storage shed on the dealership property...a storage shed that was torched by an arsonist...an arsonist that was never caught. So, we told B to reorder the same furniture and thought that was taken care of. Mistake #4...
  • Don't believe a bullshit story about a mysterious arsonist without seeing the police report.
Though we were frustrated by the latest setback, we were also excited because things were starting to happen out on our property. With things starting to happen, we were making trips out to our, OUR property. Marty, my friend Kristi, and I all went out there and checkout the area they had cleared for the house and our yard. The weather was working against us though. We had hit the early fall and it rained and rained and rained. The rain turned our newly cleared land into a mud pit and made it impossible for the heavy machinery to move around and be able to pour the foundation and dig the well. We had to wait for it to dry. But, I was still clinging to hope that we could be in the house before Joey was born. There was a whole month and a half left until my due date and I still thought I'd go late because I did with Marty. If B had done his job, it would have been possible. By this point, I should have known better but it was simply beyond my comprehension to think a family member would screw us over so royally. Mistake #5...
  • Clinging to delusional hope we would be in our house on time.
By the middle of October, the absolutely fabulous local companies had cleared the land, poured a perfect foundation, and had the well dug. With mobile or modular homes, this is the difficult part. If you have a good set up crew, you can have one of those bitches in place and ready for occupancy within a couple of weeks after all the prep work is done. A really kick ass crew could possibly do it all in a week and then leave you the next week for the inspections. B did NOT have a kick ass crew. B also wasn't a kick ass boss who could motivate a half assed crew. Getting in the house before the baby was born was a god damned lost cause.

Come on back tomorrow to read the next segment of the House Buying Follies .

5 comments:

Heather said...

thanks for the comment on my blog! wow you have been through a lot of loss, but at least you have 3 kids...
I look forward to the next exciting installment of your house buying misadventure.

Chrissie said...

I just fell in love with the quote at the top of your page! Wow!
I will check back in to hear the next installment!
Chrissie

Anonymous said...

Oh I think I love your stories in parts most of all, scarecrow... Ehem. I mean, Kristin. :-P

Annie said...

I used to say my misadventures were sometimes worth it just for the stories. The more things go wrong the more blog posts out of it. Hooray, right?

Megan @ Grimm Tales said...

I can't believe your furniture got "torched". I hope you didn't have to pay for the new set.

I'm sorry you had such a hard time getting into your home.