"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing. " -Helen Keller

Wednesday, June 30, 2010

I love my children...I love my children...no, really, I do love my children

Yesterday, I managed to take some time for myself. I went to my quilting/crafting group yesterday afternoon and I had 5 blissful hours of adult conversation and craft time. It was incredible. I almost had to pinch myself to believe it was happening.

But today, today has been another story. I feel like I've spent my day listening to the kids whine and snipe and argue. The irony of it all is Gabe has been the most grown-up and helpful of the kids so far.

Marty argued with me for 20 minutes about making his bed. See, I told the older two boys that they needed to learn to make their beds today. They sleep on loft beds and, frankly, it's a royal pain in the ass to make the beds. So, until now, I've changed the sheets for them. Both of them had their beds stripped and, while the sheets were being washed and dried, I covered the mattress with extra comforters that we have. Marty's first argument was that his bed was already made. When that didn't work, he tried to convince me to let him keep the extra comforter on his bed after we put his sheets and comforter on. I told him no and he said "But I don't like to sleep under the comforter because that messes it up and then I have to make it everyday." He didn't like it too much when I laughed at that excuse. I tried to to explain that extra comforters were just that and were to be kept available in case someone slept over or one got dirty. His response was "But, I can give it up whenever someone else needs it." I said no and he got agitated about me not being willing to compromise. Somehow, I didn't think compromise meant giving a whiny, argumentative 13 yr old what he wanted. Again, I told him no and said it wouldn't work because then the comforter would be dirty. He said "But, I would wash it before they used it." I told him that wouldn't work because it took several hours to wash and dry that. His comeback was that it would only take two hours and that isn't several hours?!?!? Geez, I think he would still be arguing with me if the phone hadn't rung. I also had to explain to him that he was not the parent and I did not owe him an explanation about the way I handled things with Gabe. How the hell am I suppose to deal with Gabe yelling at Marty when Marty turns around and yells at him and then actually has the nerve to tell me he did that because I wasn't making Gabe stop. He is seriously pissing me off.

Joey has been whining, arguing, and fussing at and with his brothers. He has been whining and purposely misunderstanding me. He has pouted and whined about things I have already said I would do or help with.

Now, Gabe has been a little bit of a pain to his brothers but he has actually been helpful to me. Gabe has been doing laundry with me and has helped me clean the microwave.

Is it a rule that when a mom takes time for herself that she gets paid back with a day from hell the next day? If so, I'm kind of scared about what will be waiting for me when I get home from BlogHer.

6 comments:

..Soo.See.. said...

Oh, Kristin, I'm so sorry you're getting this attitude after having such a nice time to yourself. :( I hope they start to let go of the attitude soon! HUGS!!!

Sandy said...

And to think, I actually had the thought in my head today: "I can't wait until Oscar starts talking."

Hahahahahahahaha...

I'm glad you were able to make some time for yourself yesterday. Motherhood is such a roller-coaster.

Colette S said...

I hope I win. I saw the contest and a great subject for me to talk about and so I entered. I'm still wondering if I should have! Oh I'd love to meet you too. You'll have to blog about it so I can live vicariously through you.

I am craving a few hrs or a day away just to have what you had in the first paragraph up there. Today was a repeat of all the other days when I felt I'd cry if I had to talk to the kids any longer. Imagine my happiness when naptime came. Sigh.

Kir said...

Oh my friend, I am SOOOO glad you got a day to yourself, because it keeps you from strangling people when the next day comes and you have a day like you just did.
Mine are only 2 but they fight with me about everything...no, no, no, no..I want to pull my own head off.

HUGS, HUGS, today is another day!!!! and so is tomorrow.

Quiet Dreams said...

I think Marty should consider a career as a lawyer...

battynurse said...

See and this is the part about parenting that scares me.