"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing. " -Helen Keller

Thursday, May 13, 2010

A trip into the outlandish

My kids and I were watching the recent MythBusters episode about duct tape earlier today. While Jamie and Adam were making a bridge out of duct tape, I went looking for pictures of prom dresses made out of duct tape. What? You didn't know people made dresses out of duct tape? Every year, Duck Brand duct tape hosts a Stuck At The Prom contest and the winners get scholarships.While looking at the duct tape dresses, I stumbled across wedding dresses made out of toilet paper. Yup, these came about as the results of another contest. cheap-chic-wedding.com sponsors a yearly contest for toilet paper wedding dresses.
And, then I found the most amazing dresses made out of condoms which were created by Brazilian artist Adriana Bertini for the "Dress Up Against AIDS: Condom Couture", an exhibition hosted at UCLA’s Fowler Museum...Seeing all these wonderfully creative and definitely non-traditional uses for everyday objects got me thinking. I think it would be fabulously fun to crate a top or maybe a dress made out of a duct tape or something equally creative (this year some girl made the bodice of her prom dress and her boyfriend's vest out of gum wrappers). Duck Brands web site has a section called Ducktivities and they have instructions for making a ball cap, duct tape fabric, wallets, and really cool bookmarks. I also found a site that teaches you how to make game boards (chess, checkers, and backgammon) out of duct tape.

What would you make out of duct tape or some other non-traditional material? Would you be willing to wear or use an object made this way?

9 comments:

Kakunaa said...

I have ALWAYS wanted to make a dress out of dental dams and condoms. Sort of simple, short, fitted, using the condoms as trim, ala flapper style. My sister makes things out of gum wrappers, origami paper, soda tabs, you name it. I'm always impressed. I just use yarn....how boring!

MrsSpock said...

My best friend made a prom dress out of [plastic for an art project- and it looked fabulous.

Wishing 4 One said...

These people like you are too creative! I am so not crafty, but if I were I may try something made out of coffee filters.

Michelle said...

haha, neat. Im going to try a duct take wallet for my hubby for Fathers Day!

..al said...

Well, out of those three pics, the condom dresses looked the best!

I could use duct tape to play some sort of pranks...(yes, my creativity only takes me that far)

rys said...

I think that new flexible silicone wrap has endless possibilities. It's called Mighty Fix-It and comes in 6 colors. Imagine the hot dress you could make with that! Or hot pants, or a top. No stitching or gluing required because it sticks to itself, AND it's UL rated to up to 8,000 volts!

battynurse said...

Wow. Those are so creative. And practical. Imagine if you were out on a date in a dress made of condoms and you needed one.
When I was a kid I had a teddy bear that was made out of plastic bags. It was very cool and unique. I was so mad when I figured out my mom got rid of it.

Suzy, Not a Fertile Myrtle said...

Wow, those are amazing. And I loved that episode of Mythbusters! That show is a favorite in our house.

Baby On Mind said...

I once saw a survival book for new dads that made diapers using duct tape! Not the whole diaper of course, but I think it involved a t-shirt and some duct tape to hold it onto a baby, when all else fails, of course. I just wish I could remember what the book was!