- 1 package of Oreos or similar chocolate sandwich cookie
- 8 oz (1 package) cream cheese at room temperature
- 2 bags chocolate chips
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract (or mint extract, or, hell, whatever flavor tickles your fancy)
- Using a food processor, grind cookies to a fine powder...or, if you don't have a food processor, *open each cookie, remove and save the cream filling, and put the cookies in a heavy ziploc bag. Seal the bag, taking care to remove any excess air. Use rolling pin to crush cookies to a fine powder.
- Using a mixer, combine cookie powder, cream filling, softened cream cheese, and extract. Mix thoroughly. There should be no trace of white cream cheese left.
- Chill for half an hour
- Roll truffle filling into balls and place on wax paper lined cookie trays
- Put trays in freezer for an hour (you can skip this step if in a rush but freezing makes the dipping so much easier
- Near the end of the hour, dump both bags of chocolate chips in microwave safe bowl. Heat one minute at a time, stirring in between until chocolate chips are fully melted. Fully melting two bags should not take longer 3 minutes.
- To easily coat truffles with the melted chocolate, add truffles, in batches, to bowl of melted chocolate. Then use two forks to roll truffles in chocolate until evenly coated. Remove the truffles with forks and allow excess chocolate to drip back into bowl before placing truffles on waxed baking sheet.
- Cool at room temperature. Store in airtight bowl in the fridge.