"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing. " -Helen Keller

Monday, September 21, 2009

Woohooo, I'm rich! or, an open letter to internet scammers...

Dear Friend,

Greetings to you and your family in the name of (God).

In my search for a reliable and (God) fearing person and having gotten your contact through prayers and painstaking efforts I have decided to seek your help in carrying out my last wishes.

My name is Mrs.Linda Camarah, I'm a 67 years old woman, a christan origin from UK and residing in Senegal, west Africa, I and my husband was an engineers and used to work with shell under contract and also a merchant and owned two businesses in Dubai, I was also married with two children..My husband and two children died in a car accident six years ago.

Before this happened, my business and concern for making money was all I live for.
I never really cared about other values in life. But since the loss of my family, I have found a new desire to assist helpless families.

I have been helping orphans in orphanage/motherless homes. I have also donated some money for humanitarian needs in Sudan, South Africa, Cameroon, Brazil, Guinea Bissua, Austria,Liberia and some Asian countries.
Only recently I saw on television the colossal loss of properties and livelihood people in Canberra, Australia through fire.

I was moving with great pity and compassion that I decided to make this contribution on assisting people over there, I kept Fifteen Million United States Dollars{US$15Million} in a long-term deposit account in a Bank here in Senegal .

Presently, I'm in a Chinesse hospital here in Senegal where I have been undergoing treatment for oesophagi cancer at Shanghai Medical Center Senegal have since lost my ability to talk and my doctors have told me that I have only few months to live.

It is my last wish to see this money distributed to victims of the fire outbreak in Australia and other charity organization.

I have enclosed for you the Current Photogragh I took below Because relatives and friends have plundered so much of my wealth since my illness, I cannot live with the agony entrusting this huge responsibility to any of them.Please i need your information so that i will send it to the Bank to contact you, I beg you in the name of (God) to help me collect the deposit and distributes it accordingly. Use your judgment to distribute the money and keep 20% of it to yourself.

Feel free to reimburse yourself when you have the money for any cost you incur during the process of collecting and distributing the money.

If you are willing to help, please reply as soon as possible. May the good lord bless you.

Because of my cancer illness i was advised not to use phone, i will give you my Lawyer number so that you will always contact him through phone for any advise and message you want to pass to me and my Lawyer will also be calling you if there is any emergency. Regards,

Mrs.Linda Camarah.

****************************************
Some of these scam letters amuse me more than others. This one had me laughing out loud.

Mrs. Linda Camarah,

Work on your grammar. Surely you scam artists can find one person who speaks English to proof read your letters. And, if you are going to feed your mark a story, please make sure to follow through on the elements. For instance, if you promise a picture, give me one...even if you have to steal it from someone else's site. Nothing sells a sob story like a sad picture. And, please, if there is a detail that jumps out and grabs the attention, make it a good one. Nothing screams fraud quite like telling me the Shanghai Medical Center is in Senegal.

Thanks for the entertainment but your work ethic and follow through suck!

Sincerely, Kristin

****************************************
BTW, I did email this back to them.

17 comments:

Nina said...

Yeah, their atlas/spellchecker/thesaurus must be in Spanish, and apparently, she speaks German. Hate it for her.

Nicole said...

Very funny! It's a bit sad too, though given that somebody somewhere keeps falling for it!

Thanks for the comment, and happy ICLW!

GeekByMarriage said...

My favorites are the ones telling me my long lost father has died and left me a fortune.

I call up my dad and scream, "ARE YOU DEAD?!" (he's hard of hearing)
He screams, "NO!" and we both giggle.

Quiet Dreams said...

Hahahahahahaha!

AnotherDreamer said...

LOL! That is so horrible.

Fat Chick said...

Do people actually fall for that crap? Seriously, sheesh.

Barb said...

hahahaha. I just got this one too!

Robin said...

That is hilarious! I hope you really send the letter.

ICLW

Nice to meet you!

Kim said...

It is really sad that someone falls for it! I have never gotten anything like this! I guess now that I typed that I will get one soon!
ICLW

Anonymous said...

Haha. I love the email exchanges that some people have posted on the internet of the conversations that then end up in with these scammers when they (jokingly) reply to them. Maybe they will respond to you. :)

Tammy said...

These things drive me right nuts! Call me paranoid, but I never respond to them. I'm always fearful of them being able to attach to my computer that way - see, I told you. Paranoid. :)

kathi said...

I've gotten more than the usual share of these scam letters over the last couple of weeks. The terrible grammar and impossible sob stories are kind of amusing for a while; your response is just great!

:: ICLW ::

Anonymous said...

i love emailing them back!!

sometimes i like to keep it going...

i'm crazy like that.

xoxo

samantha said...

LOL that you emailed them back!!

ICLW

Shelly- Mom Files said...

gosh I get about 6 of these per day. Craziness!!! I hit to big fat DELETE on their non-spelling asses! lol

Beautiful Mess said...

LMAO!!!! AHAHAHAHA I love that you emailed them back! Nice work!
*HUGS*

battynurse said...

Oh now, that's funny. What is scary is the fact that if they keep doing this as they do, there must be someone out there who is dumb enough to respond.