"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing. " -Helen Keller

Wednesday, September 02, 2009

It was 1 yr ago today...

One year ago, I got the phone call that would change all of our lives. One year ago today, we found out that my FIL who had beaten cancer so thoroughly he wasn't even going to need chemo lost his life to what was most likely a blood clot.

We miss him terribly and I know I mourn the things we will never get to share with him. I wish I had more words to express what this incredible man meant to all of us but I just don't right now. Every time I try to write something more fitting, the tears threaten to come. So, I will ask you instead to please say a prayer or send thought to the universe or do whatever it is you do because I know this is going to be a really hard time for my mother in law. Sig was a part of Ruth's life for almost 60 years and it is really hard for her without him.

For those of you who didn't get to read my tribute to him last year, you can find it here and here.

16 comments:

..al said...

Your family is in my thoughts...from what you described...I am so aware that Ruth must be missing him so terribly. Much peace to her.

Be good.

AnotherDreamer said...

(*hugs*) thinking of you all.

Emma said...

Many prayers for Ruth and all your family. I know how hard it has been to get through the three years since my Dad passed away. One thing that helped me was to start passing parts of my memories on to the kids. In my case Dad was passionate about books, and each year, on his birthday, I buy a new book that he loved, inscribe it "Remembering Grandad" and add it to the our childrens' book shelf. They will always now which books Dad taught me to love.

You and yours are in my thoughts. ((hugs))

Megan said...

Thinking of you and your family today. (((hugs)))

Anonymous said...

hugs

Jaymee said...

sending healing thoughts and love to your whole family.

Anonymous said...

(((HUGS))) Kristin,
I am so sorry for you MIL. I am keeping you all in my thoughts and prayers.

Aunt Becky said...

Thinking of your family today and always. I'm so sorry.

Anonymous said...

You and your family are in my thoughts during this anniversary.

JJ said...

Thinking of you and your family--xoxo

Lori Lavender Luz said...

Abiding with your family as you remember Sig.

Anonymous said...

I think that you can not find the words to describe him speaks more of him and what a great guy he was.
Your family is in my thoughts and prayers

battynurse said...

Sending many good thoughts to your MIL (although late ones).

Barb said...

Hugs.

Tammy said...

Sending hugs!

MrsSpock said...

So sorry...remembering him with you. Loss after 60 years must be so rough for your MIL...