"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing. " -Helen Keller

Monday, September 07, 2009

The Fun Never Ends

I hope y'all had a fabulous Labor Day (those of you in the US that is) and, for the rest of y'all, I hope you had a fabulous day. My mom and dad brought my nieces up and we met them for a fabulous day including lunch at IHOP, a trip to the NC Museum of Natural Science to see Chocolate: The Exhibition and all the other wonderful displays, and an hour or two running, screaming, and burning off energy at the park. I'll tell y'all more about all that on Wednesday because that is the topic of my Show&Tell this week. What I do want to tell you about is the latest entry in the ongoing saga of Kristin and her boys the Hellions. Just as we were walking out the door, the phone rang and it was my mom saying they were running about 15 minutes behind schedule. Now, 15 minutes waiting at your destination may not seem like a lot, but, when you are trying to corral Gabriel, it is. So, I put all our stuff in the van and told the boys to go back inside for 15 minutes. Marty rushed inside anticipating 15 minutes of video game time and before I even clear the door a hear a loud noise and the distinctive, sort of silvery sound of glass breaking. At first, I didn't even realize the noise came from inside the house. However, walking through the door to Marty saying I'msorryI'msorryI'msorryI'msorryI'msorryI'msorry sort of gave it away. Wanna know what happens when someone kicks off their size 13 gunboats?

Marty's shoe next to my foot for comparison
Well, when you kick them off with the vigor and enthusiasm of a certain (almost) 13 yr old boy, they fly in a high, beautiful arch that, unfortunately does not reach its nadir before intercepting a window almost 5' 4" off the ground...
Right now, I am just eternally grateful that we also have storm windows so we don't have to budget to have the window replaced immediately. I did rant and rave a bit and Marty was begging the whole time "Please don't be mad mom." I told him he wasn't getting punished because I knew he didn't do it on purpose. However, I also told him I was a bit pissed off because we had asked him multiple times not to kick off his shoes like that. I also told him if it ever happened again, all his rights, all his privileges, were gone until I felt like giving them back. After I cleaned up the glass I could get up quickly (what you see in the pic is stuck in the frame and needs to be broken out), we were 10 minutes late instead of having to wait on everyone else.

Vic's only response when I called him this evening at work to tell him about it was to laugh a bit (I swear I could hear him shaking his head in bemusement over the phone line) and ask "Which knucklehead did it?"

See, I never have to worry about running out of things to write. All I have to do is wait a day or two and my children create a story for me. Good thing I love them to bits...LOL.

13 comments:

GeekByMarriage said...

Oh noes! What did you expect when a boat is thrown at glass?! I can one up you though!

When Seth was 5 he put his bare foot through his bedroom window. Thank goodness he only got minor scratches! I won't tell you about the time he took my van for a joy ride at 5 years old when I was in the bathroom. He almost hit and oak tree and my living room.

Beautiful Mess said...

Oh my goodness! *sigh* BOYS! They just don't think before they act, do they? I'm glad nobody got hurt and that you have storm windows. Hope he learned his lesson.
*HUGS*

'Murgdan' said...

YIKES! What a mess! :-)

battynurse said...

You do always have something to write about. Do you think this will stop him from kicking off his shoes like that? Glad you all had a fabulous day anyways.

Lori Lavender Luz said...

Ugh. That time of suspension is where so many problems occur. For us, it's between the time the carpool lady calls and 10 minutes (or so) later when she arrives.

Those are some massive feet!

And let's hear it for always having blog topics!

You handled this well, Kristin.

Carrie27 said...

Note to self, do not let children kick off their shoes.

Vic responded in the same way I could see my husband responding.

becoming whole said...

I will try to never complain about not having things to write about. :)

Fertility Chick said...

Ack! I saw the picture of the shoe and thought to myself...no...that won't be what happens nex-...and then I saw the window.

Glad that you've got the storm window in the meantime!!

Kristi aka "Judy" said...

No bueno! But I am sure that Marty will ever kick his shoes off again in the same way....
:-)
LYMI

Kristi aka "Judy" said...

oooh, make that NEVER kick his shoes off the same way....

Soralis said...

Yikes to the size of the shoes! And Yikes to the window!

Meari said...

LOL.... boys! That's all I have, LOL (and I know it's not really funny, but you just have to laugh)

K said...

Hi! I'm here via blogger bingo - thanks for mentioning your visit to IHOP. ;-)

It's stories like this one that make me fearful of what we have in store for us as our little guy grows up! My friends love telling me their rough and tumble boy stories and watching the color drain from my face. Ha ha! It's hard for me to imagine my 7 month old's little foot EVER fitting into the shoe you photographed, but I know it will happen sooner than I can imagine.

Sorry about your window!