"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing. " -Helen Keller

Wednesday, November 05, 2008

What a day, what a night, What a PRESIDENT!!!

I am just beyond thrilled with the presidential election results. As I sat watching the results last night, I could feel the *anticipation building. When it came up on screen that McCain was going to give his concession speech my heart swelled with joy. McCain's speech last night was gracious and classy. No whining and moaning from him last night. And then came the speech, that incredible speech given by President-elect Obama. Obama shone last night. Damn what a speech. He was inspiring. He was humble. He was Presidential!

I have now witnessed 3 things in my life that I never thought I would see. I never thought I would see the Berlin Wall come down. I never thought I would see the Soviet Union fall. And, I never thought I would live to see an African-American elected president. I just really never thought our country would grow that much and do it that quickly. I have never been so happy to be proven wrong. It says a hell of a lot about our country that in little more than one generation we have gone from the civil rights marches and the hoses and the riots to the joyous celebration that happened last night. **I have never seen crowds out celebrating the results of an election like I did last night. The crowd in Times Square rivaled the New Year's Eve crowd...wow!

I am proud of my country today. And, while I'm sure there will be political decisions Obama makes that I don't like, I am so glad to have someone in that office that I can genuinely be proud of. May God Bless the United States and may God Bless and watch over the Obamas.


*My anticipation was only interrupted when the reporter from the local ABC station said something about conversating with the crowd in Chicago. WTF!?!? Conversating is not a word. It did provide a good bit of comic relief though.

**Vic said the only time he remembers seeing a crowd like the one in Times Square for a political event was when Nixon stepped down.

5 comments:

The Maven said...

"Conversating"? Hah! Love it.

I'm thrilled. Beyond thrilled! It's truly a wonderful time for America and the rest of the world. I'm excited to see what happens next.

Ken's choice said...

Even the Dutch(me too!!!) are thrilled with the choice of the American people, I hope he will be Blessed with a very long stay in the White house.

JW Moxie said...

Amen. This is a glorious day, indeed!

Cara said...

Ah well - ex-Presidents can't spell and current reporters can't speak.

But we have PROGRESS!

SAHW said...

I have to say, I am thrilled and also surprised - I also didn't want to get my hopes up too high, but I'm so happy about how things have turned out.

On the other hand...sorry you had such a crazy election day non-election wise! Hope your son and your dog are feeling better!!