"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing. " -Helen Keller

Saturday, August 16, 2008

SHOW AND TELL: National Stitch in Public Day


Show and Tell


September 3rd is National Stitch In Public Day. The Embroidery Guild of America's web site says "EGA invites stitchers of all ages and skill levels to join in a day of community crafting that will celebrate the traditions and trends of needlework, right right where they are. There's no cost - just an effort to encourage community among stitchers. Embroiders, quilters, knitters and who will shine a light on their crafts Sept. 3 by stitching together in public spaces such as coffee shops, parks, malls – anywhere they can be seen. Let EGA Headquarters know about your event so photos, stories and updates can be shared online. Contact Brad at bcape@egausa.org if your chapter or group of stitchers wants to organize an event. Call (502) 589-6956."

I plan on participating and I'm going to work on the Papillon Creations freebie "How Does Your Garden Grow". This freebie is being released monthly through their newsletter and (eek) I'm about 3 months behind.



Do you stitch? Are you going to participate?

15 comments:

JuliaS said...

Wow - that's really pretty. I am horrible at cross stitch - my threads get all messed up on the backside.

I would be be 3 years behind . . .

:0)

Kristin said...

Thanks Julia. My crafts, especially my needlework, have been my sanity saver (bwahahaha, that's a good one, me with any sanity).

Baby Smiling In Back Seat said...

I am a former knitter, but I haven't done anything in a few years. What a neat idea though!

In Due Time said...

Thanks for the comment! The first few years were really rough, the pain never goes away, but it's not as sharp.

I love cross-stitching but haven't done anything in a very long time. Maybe once I move I'll have more time.

eden said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Topcat said...

Hey, nice stitching, I love it! I'm a bit of a closet stitcher, myself. Shuts my head up!!

Ken's choice said...

Kristin, have you had a look at SHEBAFUDGE blog ? she has done How does your garden grow, and it is beautyful, the colours are amazing, where did you get the pattern ??

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful piece. I've tried cross stitching a few times but tend to be more of a knitter myself. Although it's been ages since I picked up any needles.

chicklet said...

I don't stitch but that's pretty cool.

battynurse said...

I used to do counted cross stitch but haven't in quite a few years. They are so much work and yours looks great.

MrsSpock said...

I'm better at crochet- for some reason any embroidery always ends up a huge mess. Yours looks great...

Arian said...

That's a beautiful piece. I crochet, but I haven't done any needlework since I was a little girl. I miss it.

I'm so glad you posted that site. My grandmother has been asking us to find her some patterns and such to work on. She loves embroidery but I haven't been real sure of a good place to start. This gives me such a place!

Who knows? Maybe I'll pick it up again too...

Heather J. @ TLC Book Tours said...

I know this is REALLY late, but I wanted to say thank you for entering the Genuine Men drawing on my website. I was just rereading through the comments (such fun!) and noticed your note about your husband. My hubby was also a FF and also injured at work. We're in the process of getting him pensioned due to that injury; it's been more than a year since he's been out of work. I know how hard that must be for your husband - you don't just "decide" to be a firefighter, it's something your really LOVE doing, and it's hard to give that up. Congrats to him on handling it so well. :)

Lori Lavender Luz said...

Not a stitcher. But something else that rhymes ;-).

You are very talented, Kristin.

Unknown said...

Coming in from ICLW!
I do stitch from time to time, and I always see knitters and crocheters out in public, so maybe I won't hide my light under a bushel!I'll try and get out there, but the 3rd is the 1st day of school for us!