"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing. " -Helen Keller

Saturday, August 16, 2008

My father-in-law does have cancer.

The biopsy came back positive. For some reason, they aren't clear on the type although it is located in the liver. There is one large-ish mass that does not appear to have spread at all. It is not in an area that interferes with the blood flow to the liver which is good. His surgery is scheduled for August 25th (its also the first day of school). They are hoping they can just take a wedge shaped piece of the liver and get all the tumor. If that is the scenario that happens, they estimate they will only have to take 20% of the liver. If the tumor has infiltrated further than they think and a wedge will not take care of removal, the amount of liver they have to take could approach 60%. My FIL is a big man (not fat, just big) and the docs worry that 40% may not be enough to handle body functions if they end up having to take the more radical approach to the surgery. His doctors are very positive abouta good outcome but, of course, can not guarantee anything.

Please pray for him...that the surgery goes well, that they can take care of the tumor and only remove a minimal amount of the liver, and that he recovers fully. He is a wonderful manand I want him around for a long time to come.

19 comments:

Beautiful Mess said...

I'm so sorry to learn about your father in-law. You and your family will be in my prayers. *hugs*

Ken's choice said...

Kristin, so sorry to hear about your DFIL, He'll be in my prayers,
so will be your DH and you,
you 2 will have a worrying time.
love you,
Hugs,
Henny.

Beautiful Mess said...

Thanks so much for the comment and the hug on my blog.

Deirdre said...

(((((((((HUGS)))))))) and prayers coming your way!

Frugality Mom said...

Hugs to you and your FIL and your family are in my thoughts during this difficult time.

tina said...

Kristin,
I am sorry to read about your FIL. He (and all of you) will be in my prayers for a safe and successful surgery.
((Hugs))

Robin said...

Kristin, I'm so sorry to hear about your FIL. I'll be keeping all of you in my prayers.
Robin

Amanda said...

Your FIL and family will be in my prayers. (HUGS)

K said...

Oh no! I'm so sorry! I hope the surgery goes well and he is in remission very very soon!

Velda said...

K..........thinking of all of you

V

CreoleInDC said...

You know your family has all the positive energy I have to give.

Anonymous said...

I am praying for your family. I hope all turns out great.

Tsiporah

Anonymous said...

You and your family have my prayers.

Erica Bunker said...

Sorry to hear this. Your family will be in my thoughts.

Kristin said...

Thank you all for your thoughts and prayers. It really helps knowing so many people are pulling for him.

Chris said...

My thoughts and prayers to your FIL and the rest of the family. (((HUGS)))

Sissy said...

Sending love and light to you and your family.

Margaret said...

He IS a wonderful man. Keeping him in my prayers.

Dawn said...

Prayers done and more underway.

I truly hate cancer. My mother-in-law has successfully beat breast cancer and my step-dad was successful with his prostate cancer. My mom, however, is 2 years into her battle with lung cancer. It's such a scary thing.

I wish you and your father-in-law the best.