"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing. " -Helen Keller

Monday, August 25, 2008

FIL update...pretty good news...

Well, the surgeon was pleased with the surgery. Like all oncology surgeons, he was unwilling to say he definitively got it all. However, he told my MIL that he is certain he got all that he could and he feels very positive about my FIL's outcome. Pretty damned good news. However, that news was tempered by the fact that they had a really hard time controlling his blood loss. Ultimately, they said my FIL lost probably 1/3 of his blood volume. That is pretty damned scary. Due to the volume of blood loss combined with his age, he is being listed in critical condition. His docs all feel confident that the blood loss will NOT ultimately hamper his recovery but it does mean he will be in the hospital until next Monday. One my FIL has recovered from surgery, he will have to undergo chemo to insure any stray cancer cells are eradicated.

I am so thankful we live where we do and he has had access to the outstanding medical care he has gotten. I am still very worried and "Please dear God let him survive" is continually running through my head.

Now, we have to figure out how much more to tell the boys. They know Grandpa had to have surgery because something was wrong with his liver. They also know that it was/is serious but his doctors expect him to do well. Since my FIL is going to undergo chemo and will have to deal with the aftereffects of it, my hubby and I agree we need to tell Marty and Joey more. We just don't know how much more it should be. Any suggestions?

12 comments:

K said...

I would tell them that grandpa had a big blob of bad cells that the doctor removed during the surgery. Now grandpa has to take special medicine for a while to kill any tiny bad cells that might have hidden from the doc. The medicine might make grandpa tired and feel kinda pukey, but not as bad as if the bad cells starting growing again.

Does that sound too simplistic? Glad he came out of the surgery and hope that he recovers soon. Hang in there, chickadee!

Just Me. said...

Thanks for visiting me.

Sorry about your FIL.

Keep us updated.

Hugs.

Ken's choice said...

Kristin, your FIL is in my prayers all the time, when you start talking to Marty an Joey, the words you'll have to say will come !!
God bless you all and be strong !!

Andy said...

I don't have any suggestions, but I hope that he is feeling better soon.

Take care

Raggedy Ann said...

My dad had cancer and went through chemotherapy when I was a kid and my mom was very honest with me. It was very important for me and helped me with my dad's illness knowing the truth. Kids deal really well with the truth.

I'm glad things went well with the surgery.

RAxx

MrsSpock said...

Kids are usually very well tuned in to what is going on in a family. They can usually tell if you are holding back information, and the fear of what could be so horrible that you are not telling them could be worse than the simple truth.

I think what Katrina suggested sounds great.

flickrlovr said...

I'm so sorry that your FIL is going through so much medically right now, but thank God he made it through surgery ok! Yay! I'll be checking back for updates on him; keep us posted.

And I agree with Katrina's comment on what to tell the boys. Good luck, and hang in there!

(ICLW)

Lisa said...

I'm so sorry your family is going through this. Sending healing thoughts for your FIL and peace to you.

(ICLW)

KimboSue said...

No suggestions from me, but as the momma, you'll have the right words to say.

Hope your FIL gets well soon.

ICLW

Unknown said...

I'm glad he came through the surgery. I pray his recovery is swift.

When my FIL was diagnosed with cancer we held back talking to the kids. He didn't lose his hair with the chemo and so we didn't have that to contend with question-wise. The main reason is that they knew my father died from cancer and we didn't want them assuming the worst right away. As he got sicker over the year or two before his death, we explained more.

Soralis said...

So glad to hear that he came out of the surgery... hope he does well now. I am all for being honest with my kids but not getting to detailed that it is hard for them to process, but you know your kids best.

Good luck

CreoleInDC said...

:)...This makes my heart smile.