"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing. " -Helen Keller

Thursday, December 09, 2010

WTF?!?

I tested all the lights before I put them on the tree. 2 strand worked perfectly and the third strand had a "dead" section. So, I started at the top with the ones that worked. With the help of Marty and the almost 6 extra inches of height, we got the angel on the tree and started winding the lights around the tree. The two working strands didn't quite make it to the bottom of the tree but I figured it would be ok to use the partially working strand around the bottom. We got them all on and were so excited to light the tree up. I plugged it in, stepped back, and said "WTF?!?"

The angel is lit. The partially working strand worked out perfectly around the bottom. In between the angel and the partially working strand, NOTHING...NADA...ZILCH. That's right folks. The two strands that were fully lit on testing were fully dark on the tree. Obviously, electricity was making it through...light at the very top and at the bottom. I checked all the connections and one of the two previously working but now dead strands of lights decided to join the brightly lit crew again.  Nothing I tried got the last strand working so I guess I have to go try and find a strand of lights tomorrow.

The gremlins have taken over and so far they are winning.

5 comments:

Kakunaa said...

Ahhhh, the joy of Christmas lights. LOL. I'm sorry hon :(

April said...

I feel your pain. We have a pre-lit fake tree. The pre-lit worked for 2 years. Then last year, the top section didn't light. This year, the top section and half of the middle no longer light up. Right now I've got the tree wrapped in the only strand of working lights I could find in the house, a set of chasers that were supposed to be on the house. I dislike Christmas lights.

Mrs. Gamgee said...

Ugh! If there is one thing that can ruin my Christmas spirit, it's lights that don't work! I hope that you were able to either get things working or find antother strand.

Don't let those gremlins win!

battynurse said...

Ugg. I hope you got them working.

Anonymous said...

I absolutely hate putting the lights on the tree. I am ashamed to admit that I always put the strand on the wrong way, meaning when I go to find the plug at the bottom of the tree, it's way up at the top because I am incapable of remembering the it matters which end you start with.